Engine help please!

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Johnboy9914, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

I acquired a set of Chevy 350 heads (cast # 14101083 = 87 and up 285-300HP with 64cc chambers, according to my research). To my knowledge they are stock, but have been rebuilt recently and visually look new. I have purchased a remanufactured 350 short block from Autozone (to arrive Dec. 5). I'm assuming that the cam will be stock and the block a 2 bolt main. Without modifying the heads, can someone recommend a performance (street) cam. I'm also using a Edelbrock performer intake and Holley 600 - 4 barrel with electric choke. Any other reasonable/inexpensive (after all this is the holiday season) performance suggestions will be much appreciated. This will function as my driver/cruiser while I save for something better. Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Guy's,

I'm having a hell of a time getting to my "favorites" to help here so what's going on w/ my 'puter??

pdq67

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the un-maskable interrupt usually works... time to reboot:innocent:

4. Toomanyhobbys

Toomanyhobbys Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Any other reasonable/inexpensive (after all this is the holiday season) performance suggestions will be much appreciated.

I would post this exact question to Marv D, he is the Guru of inexpensive High Performance

5. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

I've just left comp cams website. Spent about 2 hours on there reading material. They've got a toll free number that you can call to talk to a tech there that can help you select the cam that you need.

Did a quick search on the heads and got this info:
    1987 14101083 350 1.94 1.5001 - EFI

Did these heads come from a fuel injected vehicle? If so, Can you just bolt on a carb intake?

Also, do you know the compression ratio of the pistons?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  6. 70Camaro406

70Camaro406 Veteran Member

Here's a good one for you. I've always liked Lunati.
    With this cam, figure about 320-340hp and about 370-390 ft lbs of torque.

Lunati VooDoo hydraulic Part #: 60101

Lift IN/EX: .454"/.468"
    Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 213/219"
    LSA / ICL: 112/108
    RPM Range: 1000-5500

Best mild performance cam. Works excellent in TPI fuel Injection applications. Makes approximately 19" vacuum at idle. Great for performance oriented marine applications and heavy towing applications. Perfect "Street Rod" cam. Has slightly noticeable idle, works with stock converter, A/C, power brakes

7. Darknight

Darknight Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you may need a centerbolt style intake but can bolt on carb. You can use a regular intake and slot the center holes or tap your heads and put in the helicoils at the old angle too.

Comp 268H is good, that voodoo is good, 270H, 264xe, isky 270. You should be around 9:5-1 with flat tops I would guess.

8. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

Man, I let that one get by me. It never crossed my mind that they could be (originally) from a EFI engine. When I acquired the heads they were mounted on a 350 utilizing an aftermarket (unknown brand) aluminum, carburetor style intake, (also where I got the like new, holley carb, now on my 305). I noticed right away that the two center bolt holes on each side were of a different angle. The manifold utilized special/angled machined spacers for proper fit. When I tried to mount the intake on my 305 the two center holes would not line up (angle wise) with the heads on my 305. The 350 engine had only been ran for a few weeks before the previous owner spun the main bearings on #1 piston and didn't want to invest any more money into the engine. I can get the casting number from the 350 block if it will help. I do not know the compression ratio of the new short block as of yet. I am awaiting arival to evaluate what I have. P.S. The heads also have K158 stamped under the casting #. Thanks.

9. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Most common usage for -083 heads that I'm aware of is 350 TPI (L98) motors in 3rd gen F-bodies. They have nominally 64cc combustion chambers. The Vette L98 had aluminum heads but was otherwise similar.

Compared to Vortec heads they're not great, but no factory head before Vortecs was. They should be using self-aligning rocker arms. Usual lift limitation without maching the guildes down is about .470". Yes, they use the later 87-up intake bolt pattern and bolt-on intake choices are limited (there is no Performer RPM that will bolt on without modifications, for instance, although there is a standard Performer intake available).

If the block is original to those heads it should be a factory roller cam block. Stretching even further... earlier MAF-equipped TPI motors (1987-1989) used dished pistons and had a ~9.3:1 compression ratio with those heads. Later speed/density TPI motors (1990-1992) used flattop pistons and had a compression ratio of about ~9.8:1 using those heads.

10. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

I learned something b/c I flat didn't know that there were any 350 engine 64 cc heads after say, 1970 or so!!

Thanks, are they any good?? Like not swirl bowled or anything???

pdq67