Engine no start switch ideas

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by simso, Feb 22, 2019.

1. simso

simso Veteran Member

folks, after an idea for wiring old school sbc engine from starting, I want to allow the engine to crank but not kick, so to me that means distributor kill switch.

Except I want to make it a bit trickier, I would like to have a button or something I press and hold down to start, and once she’s kicked and going the switch stays energised, as soon as engine is turned off, the switch resets itself and needs to be pushed again to start.

Ideas, an on / off switch won’t work, a momentary switch won’t work, what type of switch am I searching for ?

Thanks

Steve

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

How do you plan to turn the engine off?
    You will still need the key switch to activate the ignition power to the distributor and turn the engine off. If you use that for powering the ignition, a momentary switch will work for starting.

3. simso

simso Veteran Member

My theory is the switch when pushed simply allows a circuit to happen, once power or earth is removed from said circuit, say for example with the key being turned off then the switch is de-energised and won’t allow start again until button is pushed to create circuit

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why will an on off not work, on to start, nevermind, I see what you mean, you need a automatic reset switch

simso likes this.
  5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

why not iust take off the wire to starter relay from switch, and then run your own switch to starter relay post,from a hiden button, then every thing will be hot,and run, but the starter will not ingage to start. maybe

6. simso

simso Veteran Member

I want the crank to still happen, when a thief goes to steal your car, they turn the busted keyswitch and nothing happens so they know something is in place, you have not heard a thing happen, so they then Hotwire your car

If they can crank and not start, then they are drawing attention to themselves and hopefully you hear them trying, and at the minimum the engine will also be flooded.

So need some form of relay that resets when power or earth is removed from the circuit vee the ignition switch being turned off, ignition switch on, push the button and relay is energised and good to go

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I would just wire a good hidden switch into the coil power wire and if you want them to draw attention further, install a switch to tie the horn to crank voltage.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Just put a toggle switch in series with the 12V to the distributor and hide it someplace. They can crank and crank all they want (even hotwire the ignition key) and it won't start if they don't know where the toggle switch is.

EDIT: Looks like Jeep43 beat me to it! lol...

9. simso

simso Veteran Member

Dang I like the way you think, horn comes on, yeh that’s a doer now.

I still want the switch to be an automatic reset, if you flip a hidden toggle switch then it’s likely you will forget to turn it off, and that one day you don’t turn it off, your car is gone, I speak from having some scum bag steal my car at 2am in the morning and write it off, I speak of scum bags once a weak caught on cameras looking through our car windows.

It got so bad at a stage of broken car windows we started leaving our cars unlocked at night.

Steve

10. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

You can make a circuit with a pushbutton and a relay that will stay engaged until power is removed. You need 2 sets of normally open contacts; one to turn on the ignition, and one to bypass the pushbutton switch. It's called a holding contact. You can also use a normally closed pushbutton to shut the ignition off. Some pics...

https://www.google.com/search?q=hol...BAgDEAE&biw=1171&bih=653#imgrc=9Q-QRQJ1vYrbtM:

simso likes this.