Engine Paint ?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by AlyshaLeake, Nov 13, 2019.

1. AlyshaLeake

AlyshaLeake New Member

Hi,
    I just pulled the motor out of my 73Z to replace gaskets and detail the engine. I'm not sure what to do about paint, I want it to look stock and last. Should I use Duplicolor spray cans or what about POR 15 spayed out of my gun? What have you guys had good luck with? Primer,do I need it?
    Thanks

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi, and welcome to the site, POR-15 does make an engine enamel , I have never used it, Eastwood has several products you can use some , rattle can and for sprayers, just make sure you use a good grease and wax remover first, and follow the directions , on the can, or the paint will not stay on long.

buick skylark likes this.
  3. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Like Dave said make sure it’s clean as possible, I always spray a coat of epoxy primer first but not to thick then single stage urethane paint again not to thick just enough to cover. Let’s see that 73Z , obviously my favorite.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As for color...I like to paint my engines black. Any light seepage will attract dust and make it look dirty, and chevy orange finger prints up pretty bad, the black helps with that.