Evans Waterless Coolant

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by JerryL, Feb 12, 2019.

1. JerryL

JerryL Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anyone here use this product? Pros and or Cons. I would like to change out my 50/50 coolant to this product and so far have read alot of positive reviews. Thanks

2. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

100% of the water must be out of your system.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I was going to give it a try, but dang it’s a lot of work to change it over. Not to mention it’s like $50 a gallon and the system holds over 4 gallons.

I don’t think the benefits are worth the headache, read all these requiremts down to the radiator design requirement
    Water has worked for 100 years, I’ll stick with that.
    https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/why-evans/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Ya, I'll pass on that. Lots of work and money.

5. JerryL

JerryL Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah I'm still researching and trying to gather all information positive/negative before making a decision. Yes two big considerations are the prep to get all water out to switch over and the cost.

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Evans is amazing stuff... and it's a PITA to switch over as you have to get water out of the heater core and such.

That said, it eliminates hotspots that everyone just accepts will be there and lasts pretty much forever. I had seriously thought about it for my STI on several occasions

John Wright likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

When the OEM starts to get out of the water/glycol business, Ill switch. Being that the highest performing vehicles from Chevy/Ford and Dodge are still using water, Ill stick with it.

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If GM would have used Evans in the last Z06 they wouldn't have had the overheating/heat soak issues that plagued the car.

9. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

I have had evans in my 71 for about 5 years. I used to track my car 15+ times a year. I have not seen a difference in coolant temp. I expected the gauge temp to be higher than with regular coolant. If you are beating the snot out of your engine for a long time like you do on a road course IMO, it is a good choice for coolant, as long as it is legal.

I like that it does not promote corrosion like all water based coolants. If I were to let my cars sit for months, I would have evans in my cooling system. My radiator internally looks brand new. There is no aluminum corrosion like you see so often from conventional coolant.
    I like that it does not readily boil like water based coolants. It should allow more ignition timing by keeping coolant around the hot spots in the cylinder head. I run a 7# rad. cap, it never opens to the recovery bottle.

I don't like the cost, and not being able to add water in an emergency. I can smell, sometimes coolant, Evans tends to weep more than conventional coolants.

As for flushing the water out. I flushed my cooling system with water. Then added a system cleaner, ran it for a few minutes. Drained and flushed that out. Engine was hot when drained. I pulled the plugs in the bottom of the block. I pulled off the heater hoses and blew the core and hoses out with air. I blew out the interior of the radiator. I assume the heat left in the block helped the water evaporate. I then blew air into the block drains till no water was noticed.
    Evans told me you can have up to 10% water, but try to get it to 0%. Just do your best to rid the system of water, Evans can be mixed with some glycol.
    Another option was to clean and try to dry the system. Add evans, run it. Drain and recover the Evans coolant. Then boil the coolant, the water will boil out of the coolant and is reusable.
    My evans is much darker than what I started with. My 71 is on it's 9th engine, and Evans has been in probably 6 of them. I just reuse it.