Evaporator R&R, mini rant

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by DrPepper, Sep 1, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

There are several good threads on the site re: evaporator & heater core replacement. And I've reviewed most of them. Thanks for all the valuable info.
    But the degree of difficulty and aggravation associated w/ R&R of the evaporator is greatly under stated. (I say that w/ tongue in cheek)
    Here's my issue. I have the engine side of the box lose and the evaporator moves freely. How do I get these things out of the car??????????
    Is there a trick to removal, or must I just wiggle them until they come out. I don't want to break anything, so I walked away from the job and grabbed a beer.

All feedback will be appreciated.

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

After looking at the A/C box some more, I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to remove the exhaust manifold in order to get the evaporator and box out.
    Am I on the right track?

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

You may be right. I did this job on a 76 Cutlass and it was a miserable job. I assume the Camaro engine bay is a little tighter and you just may have to remove that manifold. I wouldn't be surprised if the inner fender had to be moved or removed. My Camaro doesn't have AC so I can't actually see how tight it is in there.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

I have lots of access to the AC box. The clip is off the car. But this project is turning into a PITA. When the evaporator is replaced, I'm replacing the heater core too. But there is no interior in the car, right now, and I plan to remove the glove box for more under dash access. But having lots of access means nothing if the bone joints won't bend. LOL
    I just like to make trouble for my self.

5. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

I unbolted the engine side evap core cover and r+r'd mine in about 3 hours. But the car has headers and is a 71. It was tight but doable.