Excessive Blow-by on Fresh Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 71smalbloc, Jun 24, 2019.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Discuss with your builder, he may in fact have further details and information on a updated or "restricted" PCV setup for those style of rings he swears by. Again, assuming it's a Gapless Top ring pak.

And hence the reasoning for my questions on some details, it may in fact be difficult to "seat" the rings now, pending on how it was broken-in in the first place, high decel runs may add to the "blowby" issues.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I had asked this question, I assume it would be, not much sense skipping this very important step, and in light of using premium higher cost rings on a used bore without the proper prep is asking for trouble. Just my direct experience.

3. CNC BLOCKS

CNC BLOCKS Veteran Member

I don't care what rings you have if the block was not plate using the correct gaskets and hardware used in the end build, Using a good hone is a big plus and knowing what your doing. Those rings will not seal. I build a lot of circle track engines and have seen guys that have block machined and not plate honed and after 2 years of racing fail a leak down test which indicates the ring did not seal. To the OP do a leak down teat # TDC and 40 degrees after or before TDC. see what happens
    Here is a link to look over
    https://www.chevelles.com/forums/148-2005/93364-values-torque-plate-honing.html
    How can rings seal with cylinders that are not round.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CNC BLOCKS

CNC BLOCKS Veteran Member