Exhaust, mufflers?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by GDSmith, Sep 7, 2019.

1. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Anyone running the 2 1/2” Walker SS Quiet Flow mufflers? Had an exhaust installed and the shop installed Vibrant mufflers, DO NOT like them at all, low drone and high pitch under acceleration, makes think of an import with Fart Cans.
    Such a racket the dog refuses to go for a ride. Cruising at a steady RPM not bad just a low drone but getting up to speed or getting on it not pleasant on the ears, maybe just getting too old to appreciate the racket.
    Stock 2006 GTO LS2 / 4L65E Drivetrain with full exhaust to the rear bumper.

Appreciate hearing your solutions for your system

2. rburrow87

rburrow87 New Member

I'm running a Pypes 2.5" x-pipe system with a pair of Walker Quiet Flow 21548's. However I'm running a 454 BBC with a barely-better-than-stock truck cam and a TH350 with a slightly too loose converter for the gears I have (2.56), so I don't know if the firing order/cam will make it sound different from an LS2.

With the windows up, the exhaust is pretty quiet. Cruising on the highway at 60-70 MPH, the tire/road noise is as loud or louder. I don't have very much deadening in the car though, basically just replacement carpet with whatever bits of jute it came with pre-attached (if there even is any, can't remember). In an effort to reduce interior exhaust noise, I added a pair of small 7 or 8" glasspacks just before the x-pipe which helped make the exhaust a little less noticeable through the floor.

I used to have the equivalent Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, but I didn't like how they sounded with since the engine basically just revs and hangs around the same RPM range 90% of the time because of the converter. I should have tried adding the glasspacks before swapping those for the Quiet Flows though. Either way, I didn't really find the exhaust note particularly pleasant or exciting with my engine combo so I wanted it to sound more stock/quiet until I do something about that.

Which Vibrant mufflers did you use?

[​IMG]

3. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Vibrant Street Power Oval - 1126

4. Gipper

Gipper Veteran Member

I just installed a pypes 2.5 xpipe with dyno Max super turbos. 350, 4spd, stock cam, Brodix heads, headers & Eddie ESP intake. Low mellow growl on regular acceleration, @ 70mph 2800rpm you can have a conversation with the windows down. At around 2200 rpm they are a bit louder but not a drone. WOT any time and they bark but not obnoxious. Let off the gas and let the car wind down and they snarl from 2300-2000rpm. I’ve had a lot of people say it sounds classic. That’s what I wanted. I ain’t running a high HP street racer. These flow better than a lot of big name $$$ muffs.

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I went a little different then most with my setup, it's 2.5" pipe from Summit and I used Jones Max Flow mufflers.. They're quiet in the car, no drone and they're pretty inexpensive, when you hit, they do make a bit of noise.. Looking online, they actually flow good as well...
    If you're not in a hurry to replace yours, we could meet up some time and you could listen to mine in person.

6. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Thanks for the offer mrfleet12, would appreciate being able to here your system. Reply here or pm me opportunities to meet per your schedule, please provide a few options.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I had Dynomax on my 2 and 1/2 inch set up and they were fairly quiet and flowed very well but still sounded like a good V8 engine should. Now I have 3in with flowmaster 40 series and it drones like crazy and drives me nuts. This is with exhaust all the way to the rear bumper on both setups

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Pypes 2.5 xpipe with pypes race pro mufflers. Mellow at idle, nice rumble, loud under throttle. No drone or crackling or other BS. I also have pypes electric cut outs if I wanna make a nascar racket

9. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Depending on the weather I may be heading to Cantigny tomorrow for their show, let me know if that could work.. Other than that we could shoot for the following weekend..

10. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Sent a pm