experiences with this leafsprings

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by dutch73camaro, Jun 14, 2018.

1. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Veteran Member

hi guys,

i was thinking about make my camaro 4 link or ladderbar setup. and in the front coilovers
    but buying a complete kit ( 4 link ) is pretty expensive here in the Netherlands

now i'm leaning to this kit

SUM-7081GM-2 ( summit )

and then in the front coilovers,
    if the car doenst sit low enough i can raise the axle with blocks ?

does someone have experience with this leaf springs ?

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know that spring specifically, but it just looks like a replacement spring to me

If you install springs and the car sits too high, you can use a block between the axel and spring pad to bring the car back down. However, you really shouldn't use a block that is more than 1 inch tall as bad things start happening to suspension geometry.

Since you are dealing with shipping with Europe regardless, I really like the Global West L2 springs for those cars
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-l-2
    You'll also need their bushing kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-103sh/overview/

Rene Melten likes this.
  3. dutch73camaro

thanks for your post.

that summit spring was a 2'' drop. i heard max drop of DSE or other brands was 3'''
    but the summit one's are cheap as hell.

the global west with the bushing kit kost me here about 800 euro, for that money i'd rather have a 4 link

4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

I have no personal experience with that spring but I've had 3 customers that bought it and ended up buying a set of our PTFB leaf springs to replace them.
    The biggest problem with those Summit springs is that they are stock rate if I recall around 125lbs/in. but are lower you car WILL bottom out, this is the same as using bad old stock springs.
    Shipping a pair of leaf springs to the Netherlands is about $290.00

5. dutch73camaro

sorry for my late reaction, i didnt see it till now, what is lowest leaf you have for 73 camaro ?

6. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I have the dse three inch drop and I like the way the car sits but I still added a one inch block and I’m happy with the way it sits now

You can see the car in my pic yo see where it sits

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Not to mention, if you use an aluminium block, it is likely to crack under hard driving. Mine did. Use steel.

8. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Just in case you go back to your original plan: I've done some research on ladder bar vs 4 link, especially because I like the oldschool approach of a ladder bar. Conclusion is it will bind and eventually crack the hemi joint(s) when used on the street especially icw leaf spring. You really should use sliders in the back to give it some space for motion. Coils in the rear are more forgiving and with a four link you won't have that problem. 4 link is also less aggressive on the launch compared to a ladder bar.

9. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

the lowest we have is about 2"

10. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can verify that the Global West L-2 is a good choice, no regrets here. Perfect drop and not too soft, upgraded the bushings for effect.