experiences with this leafsprings

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by dutch73camaro, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

here is what happens when ride height is the main focus in buying springs all stance no engineering.
    looks great but look at the spring it's arched backwards, this leads to bad ride quality, bottoming out the shocks (unless you install shorter ones) and hitting the bump stops and pinion snuber.
    And in this case a junked exhaust system. TA1.jpg TA2.jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 4.35.01 PM.png

2. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

Just want to add that I actually had those Summit drop leafs and I went back to the stock ones with new bushings after about a year of putting up with them. They made the car too low (for me at least) and the ride was not great considering they're the same or softer than originals. They did exactly what Mr. PTFB is showing, minus the exhaust damage. Mine actually had a slight M shape rather than that smooth inverted arc, even after loosening and retightening all the bushings. Looked neat that low front and rear, but there wasn't really room for the suspension to do its job well.

3. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Veteran Member

so what is then the best solution to go low in the back ? ( i want my 295 30 a little bit in the wheeltubs )
    4 link is also an option but alot of work and not very cheap.

4. 79T/Aman

295/30-? if it's an 18" wheel that tier is only 25" tall you will have a hard time achieving that look you want, first you would need to mini tube it, and you would need such a stiff suspension to keep the tire from hitting the inner wheel well it would not be fun to drive, a 4 link will not solve those physical problems but would allow for all the fabrication needed to do what you want to do, no it will not be cheap.

5. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Veteran Member

295 30 or 35 18

what i see with minor ajustments i should fit ( i read the wheel and tyre treads)

6. 79T/Aman

the 295/30 will be too short (25") for the fender to be over the tire, you will have to lower it so much you will hit the bump stops and pinion support.
    The 295/35-18 will be 26.1" you will not have to lower the car as much but it still will be hard to do without rubbing the outboard inner fender, you will have to roll the fender lip, this car has PTFB Comp leaf springs with 295/35-18 tires the fender is about 1" above the tire, it has about 2.5" of travel clearance between the top of the tire and the inner fender.

295 with PTFB Comp leaf springs.jpg

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What is the backspacing on those wheels?

8. 79T/Aman

The back space is 6"