Factory undercoating

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1972original, Dec 5, 2019.

1. 1972original

1972original Member

I was told that the factory did some undercoating around wheel wells. Does anybody know what this looked like or have a picture? Thx

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I have undercoating all over my 70.

Attached Files:

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Think they used it more as a sound deadening measure. Keeps the drone from the tires down at highway speeds.

4. 1972original

1972original Member

Would you apply it on a restoration and where exactly?

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

As far as I know, undercoating was not done at the factory. Your dealer would undercoat the car if you wanted when you bought it.

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm with the sound deadener take, plus probably helped with crap the tires threw up damaging the primer and also sealed the cracks and crevices where all the panels meet. Gonna need to find some good pics of an original car and try to find something that replicates it as close to orignal as you can if that is what you are trying to accomplish. On mine I used U-Pol truck bed liner to do my wheel weels -front and rear, trunk, batery tray and area of inner fender under battery tray. New batterries probably don't leak as much as the 70's era ones did but figured I had enough left over it couldn't hurt to do the battery area and no one really sees it. 2 part stuff, really tough, I did my trailer also and it holds up very well, I'm throwing huge hunks of trees in there to split as firewood and it has held up very well. 2 qt's ran me $65 on Amazon recently but I didn't buy the gun since I had one from doing the Z back in 2013.

7. 70lt1z28

Here's a link to Jack Seymour's 70Z showing the factory undercoating (sound deadening) in the wheel wells. This car received no dealer undercoating. You can see they got sloppy and even got some on the fender lip. Some dealers as part of their prep would remove this from the lip. Many did not.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=816163#post816163

8. 70lt1z28

One thing I'll add to this since its come up. Jack's car may have had the inner fender undercoating as part of the Z87 Deluxe interior option. This option makes mention of "additional sound insulation" which I've never found a definitive answer as to what that is in several posts on the subject. The under carpet insulation seems to be the same for standard or deluxe interior so that's [probably not it.
    All you originality guys out there, what have you seen on this? My particular car had the fenderwell insulation along with some amount underneath particularly on the tunnel that Jack's car doesn't even have. This may have been manually applied at the factory so some inconsistency would be expected.

9. Bills69

Bills69 Veteran Member

I have original paperwork with "RUSTY JONES" rustproof added on bill of sale from dealership

10. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dave - my understanding was that the additional sound insulation as part of Z87 consisted of hood insulation and front cowl rubber strips and trunk mat. I realize the OP's car is a '72, but for 70, the undercoating between LA and Norwood differed....but to the best of my knowledge, not regarding the rear fenderwells. other than the natural inconsistencies of being manually applied. 70 Camaros produced in Van Nuys received undercoating in the trans tunnel and the front inner fenderwells whereas Norwood cars did not. The difficult part is that so many cars were undercoated by the dealer or 3rd party. Personally, all of the survivors I have judged at the Camaro Nats were undercoated....which may, to some degree, be the reason they survived.

I find it interesting your Norwood car does have undercoating in the trans tunnel, so maybe this should be documented and used as a data point for further discussion. Was your car undercoated by the dealer or 3rd party?...and if so, were you able to differentiate between the factory and aftermarket undercoating? Good discussion and likely one that will take many data points to really determine what is and is not correct.

I just finished applying the factory undercoating to my 70Z project and basically used Jack's car as my primary reference, since there are so few photo documented originals to choose from.