fast ez efi problem

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by garyandcindy, Nov 30, 2013.

1. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

I got my ez efi up and running about 3 weeks ago.Everything went really well with no problems.It's did great until today.When I started it up today it fired and idled just as before.But then it died!Had to cranked the motor over a lot to get it to fire back up and when it did it was really flooded!I'm talking rolling black smoke.Anyway,i let it run a little and everything seemed ok so the wife and me take off to get something to eat.First stop sign and it died.Started back up and continued on.Everytime I stopped it died.Would not idle for $hit!All the way back home at every stop I had to keep it above 1300 rpm's or it would go dead.Anybody else that's running this setup had an issue like this?Just got off the phone with their tech support and they suggested checking the timing!!I told him it has run great just where the timing is for about 150 miles with no problem and that I did not think the timing was an issue.So next he says trying starting over with the set up tune.Maybe it will work but is this going to be a constant issue.I believe something somewhere is defective.Need help guys.:mad:

Sorry.Had to vent!

2. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

TPS sound like the culprit to me. Mine is fine after 2+ years, but I have heard over and over that the TPS is Chinese junk. If the TPS is reading the throttle input wrong, it will do exactly what you describe. The ECU thinks the engine is at a wider throttle and dumping too much fuel.

3. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

The tps on mine was bad right out of the box. I got with Matt on FAST's tech line and he gave me the number for an ac-delco tps instead of the chinese junk that comes on it. It was better right off the bat and now the only thing I don't like is that it runs horribly rich on startup before coolant gets up to 140 and the O2 wakes up. I understand that they can update my ecm to run leaner on startup so I may send it back. Good luck with it.

4. newschool72

Do you have the part# for that TPS? Id like to have that just in case mine takes a crap. Mine also runs pretty rich till it warms up. The problem is, it doesn't get cold enough to shut the car down for the winter down here and I hate to send the ECU back and have the car down for any amount of time.

5. garyandcindy

Do you remember what the ac delco # was?Seems to me if they are having an issue with the tps why don't they fix the problem?Damn!These setups ain't cheap so why the cheap tps?

6. newschool72

Great question! If you find the answer, let me know. I felt the same way about the Mickey Mouse fuel system I wasted 350 buck on.

7. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Second edit it does sound like tps issue from your description.

I was bored. edit: This may not be the exact one.

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/ez-efi-sensor-part-numbers-3801.html

Man, give us a break.

SoCal was trying to help.

I promise we aren't trying to nickel and dime you out of all your money.

It's our job to sell quality parts, which may cost a little bit more, and you know you are getting the right part from us.

Every once in a while something may get messed up and be bad, but that's part of Hot Rodding.

307003 GM part# 25036979
    307004 GM part# 25037334
    307028 GM part# 17106681
    307029 GM part# 16212460
    307059 GM part# 17113598
    170408 Bosch part# 0258007206

I don't want anybody to be stranded in case a sensor fails.
    www.fuelairspark.com
    1-877-334-8355

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  8. ed nash

ed nash Veteran Member

It may be the tps. But if its at anything but 0 at idle it runs like poo. You also have to recal the tps when changing it. And if the tps is any where in the 90% range on the tps scale it will not start at all it shuts the inj off. If you need help I can give you Brian Macy #he is the man for fast efi and there instructer for teaching the program to tuners around the states.

9. garyandcindy

Sure.I'd love his number.Mine does start after dying.It revs up like it's supposed to then straight down and dies if you don't catch it with the gas pedal.

10. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

Matt was who helped me get mine straight. I just couldn't believe that the tps was bad right out of the box. If I can get the rich when cold started thing fixed I'll be really happy with it. The system doesn't like working until it gets some heat in it for sure.