fast ez efi problem

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by garyandcindy, Nov 30, 2013.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think what DFWJ means is that you don't want to seem to check other things people are suggesting here.

2. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

this system isn't like something you can plug in to and "take it to an efi tuner". The parameter's that FAST allows you to work with are fairly limited and the fuzzy logic is "supposed" to adapt it to run at an optimum. It took me quite a while to find a tune that my motor was fairly happy with all the time and it's still pig rich when started cold(before the system comes fully on line) I can't blame him for wanting to find out what's wrong with it. If you do a little more research you'll find quite a few folks that have had sensors bad right out of the box(I'm one of them) for the kind of money you put in to it, they should be using good, if not top quality sensors, not chinese junk that's broken before it's ever installed. With all the cash I sunk in to the sbc in my car now I could have gone LSx and had better luck. I'm pretty sure Gary feels the same way now. $2k and a little more will buy an LSx and the EFI on it can be tuned by an "efi tuner" Oh well

3. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

All I'm trying to do is find out what CAN be wrong.I appreciate all the input on other possibilities.And I will check them all.But first I need to get the iac valve tested and back from fast.I can't even start the car right now.As long as they keep telling me this is wrong or that is wrong i'll try it.They think the iac is bad so I sent it to them to check.If and when fast tech get's to the point of offering no help I'll take it back to the guys that installed it.If they can't fix it then it can't be fixed.Until then I'm all ears on what anyone think's is wrong and will gladly try them all when the time comes.Don't want to pay someone else to work on it as long as there's a chance it's something as simple as changing out a sensor.I did a complete visual on everything before talking to fast and while I was removing the iac.Nothing jumped out as far as grounds or vacuum leaks at the hoses.I need it running to check further.

4. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

Keep us posted. I have a friend with the same fast easy efi that will not idle well. it will surge at idle and when the throttle is dropped quickly it will stall.
    The car ran fine with a carb. It ran ok with the efi until he downshifted on the road course to 1st gear instead of 3rd. This was only one day after he installed the system.
    The tps looks good, but is not very sensitive at lower throttle position. I also did not like the tps showing .4 volts at idle. TPS is not adjustable. The injector duty cycle at idle is .07. He was told by FAST, 4 of the injectors shut down at idle.
    Fast is sending a new MAP sensor. Can't remember the MAP value, but seems it was 16 or was it 23 with 17" vacuum. Fast has determined the MAP sensor is bad. He has been waiting for the new sensor for about 3 weeks.
    We have gone through and checked voltage at he ECU. Both power and ground are directly connected to the battery.
    His system is a little complicated because it is on a 5.3 ls with MSD ignition (worked fantastically with the carb on it) and the FAST fuel system

5. 73LT

73LT Veteran Member

Are you talking about the Fast EZ-EFI 1.0 or 2.0? Do they both use the same sensors"

6. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Im running the fast EZ version 1.0 on my LS3 with the MSD6012 box to run the coils. My car developed a surge at idle, but I determined it was a lean surge because I had leaned the idle AF and the engine didn't like to be that lean. The Fast EZ isn't a magic box. It is up to us to either let the ECU tune the car the way it sees fit, or be realistic about what we ask it to do. If an engine wont run with a commanded 14.5 AF, the ECU cant make it run at that command. It still attempts to, and that was my surge. I fattened the AF and the surge went away. Not saying that's what your issue is, but since a few people are looking in on this post, I thought I would clarify that. It is NOT a set it and forget it deal, if you command something the engine, not the unit, cant do. My engine , because of the cam/heads combo wont idle any leaner than 14.0 and that is pushing it a little. It is most happy at 13.8. Not the ECUs fault, instead that's what the engine requires.

7. garyandcindy

I have not adjusted anything on my car.I did the basic tune and had run it about 3 weeks/150 miles.Ran just fine.I was waiting to get a little drive time on it to start doing any adustments.All of a sudden it will not idle below 1200 rpm's.Just goes dead as if you cut the switch off.FAST got my iac yesterday.Still waiting to hear from them if it's bad or good.I'll move on to the next step once I hear from them.

8. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

I know he had set the af to a much richer target number than I would have. I never asked why he had it that way. I could see the system was doing a good job maintaining the desired af ratio.

That is good info though. It is a fact the vast majority of engines will run better, esp. at idle, with a fat mixture.

9. garyandcindy

Well I just got off the phone with fast:mad: I sent the iac as requested by them to check.They got it last Friday the 6th at 8:45am according to my tracking #.I called on Monday evening to see if it had been checked out yet and was told that they had just logged it into the system and didn't know anything yet but should in a couple days.SOOO I called them back today and they could not pull up the r.a# and put me on hold.Came back and told me a new iac would ship out tomorrow.I asked if they determined if the other one was bad and they said they had no way of testing it!I said so when I get the new one back and installed and still have the same problem then we'll know it was not the iac motor?He said that whenever one of these unit's just goes screwy the first thing to do is replace the iac motor.So now I'm waiting on it to get here and I have know idea if it will fix it or not!:mad:This makes 10 days since I first talked to them and I know nothing more than I did before I talked to them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

That is piss poor customer service. I just don't understand why companies don't put more effort into customer service for their products. Don't they know a bad rep spreads a lot faster than a good one. One apple can rot the whole barrel ! That saying is as true , if not more so with technology, as it was the first time someone said it.