fast ez efi problem

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by garyandcindy, Nov 30, 2013.

1. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

A lab scope will tell you what is happening with the tach signal.

Does the hand held show what you would expect to see for rpm?
    What afr do you have it set for at idle?
    What idle rpm
    what is the IAC showing at idle speed
    If you raise the idle rpm with the hand held does the idle change?

can you lean it down enough or manipulate the idle timing to force the engine rpm low to see if it will show a low idle speed on the handheld

2. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

All the settings that have been done were just the basic tune upon start up.I went thru numerous things on the hand held with tech support and nothing worked.All the readings were what tech support said were what they should be.The only way to get it to idle was adjust the screw on the throttle body up to where it was past 1200 rpm's.While watching the hand held screen I would slowly back off on the screw and just as soon as it gets to about 1200 it dies.No sputter or anything.It just dies like you turned the switch off.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

It sounds like some power to the ECM just shuts off at 1200. What does the hand held do when it shuts off? The tach signal thing doesn't sound right, because it worked fine for a while. Unless something went haywire in the HEI, I cant see the signal being the problem. Did you splice any other electrical wire to the same wire for the tach signal or key on ECM wire?

4. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Hmm. You may have done this already but I would check the voltage coming into the ECU. It may be a coincidence but it's shutting off at just about the same point that some alternators stop charging.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

which leads to the question is the EFI getting it's power directly from the battery or elsewhere? I remember reading about issues when you power the unit from anywhere other than the battery.

6. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

if everything dies it almost sounds like a relay failing when it gets hot. Odd that everything dies at one time.

7. garyandcindy

It's wired straight to the battery just like the instructions show.They were pretty clear about that.

8. garyandcindy

I dropped my car off at the shop that installed the efi this evening.I didn't even get home and he called me with what I hope is going to be some good news.He unplugged the connections to the rpm module and cleaned them and hooked it back up.But it still would not idle.He then went into the monitor and ran the base idle up to 1600 before it would run on it's on.He then started slowly lowering the idle until it got down to 500 rpm's.Said it was now running fine on it's own.He's gonna keep it a couple days and contact tech support and tell what he did to see if they have an answer for it.Maybe just a bad module.Hope too find out a reason for all this.At least for now it's idling for the first time in about 2 weeks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  9. garyandcindy

Well my car completely quit running on Wednesday.Will not even start.Spent quit a while on the phone with tech support.Finally came to the conclusion that ecu went bad.Now waiting onanother one to get here.Seems to be no end to this.

10. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Hopefully the ECU WILL be the end of this. Fingers crossed for ya !