Fenderwell on the inside of fenders right?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by earlysecond, Apr 14, 2012.

1. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    The first time I built my car, I put the outside, raw edge of the inner fenders UNDER the actual fender so that they were exposed and "under" the inside of the wheel well. I saw where somebody else asked this, can't find it and can't remember the response. Seems it was different for Ponchos"

Anyway I will assume, until told otherwise, that the inners fit inside the finished edge of the fender. This makes the fenders infinitely harder to put on SO do you mount up the inner fenders and put the whole assembly (inner and real fender) on at the same time? I was told that the inners are the last piece of the nose to put in after everything else is done becasue they can pull off the alignment.

I mounted up a fender as a test today and quickly lost the battle where I was trying to put them inside. I MUST say though that the inners have cool indentations for the nut clips so I think I get how they go together but NOT how to do it!

Please advise,
    Brent

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Inner fenders are on the outside of the outer fender in the wheel well area.

3. earlysecond

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Thanks Chris, guess I got that mixed up. Good news is that I did not make myself crazy trying to make it work before I asked! Usually I do the opposite.

4. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    Agreed, the inners are are outside the fenders. You can see the exposed edge of the inners after the fender is installed.
    Along the same theme as this thread....can you put the inner fenders on before the fenders? I seems when I took mine apart the inners had to come out first to access some mounting points for the front of the fenders. Mines is a '79 BTW.

5. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    If everything's painted,tape the hell out of it all.Lotta scratchin goin on during assembly.

6. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    So is it better to leave them out and then install them once the fenders are on?

7. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Yeah.Still have to tape it up with blue tape.Underside of the fender is one good spot,where it bolts to the inner,the whole outer edge of the fender.Its amazing how many ways something wants to go wrong,lol.

8. krabben1

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Yeah.Still have to tape it up with blue tape.Underside of the fender is one good spot,where it bolts to the inner,the whole outer edge of the fender.Its amazing how many ways something wants to go wrong,lol.

9. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and installthe inner fenders with the lower front valance OFF. It has a lip that goes between the upper header and lower valance anyway, plus it is a close fit against the rad support. I have done it with everything together but there were lots of scratched up paint.

10. earlysecond

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    I'm not sure how I did it the first time but I think I put the inner in place, bolted it very loosely and mounted the fenders, then spent most of a day with an air rachet and pointed body bolts trying to get the rest of the sheet metal for the inners and fillers etc. to line up.

I think the inners look like a$$ where they mount. But I do recall that it is the correct way to do it.

It is like most everything else, it takes time patience and determination. I had it all together once, it did not look too bad then so I will get it.