Fesler Trunk Struts

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by MP81, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Figured I'd inquire before I buy the kit. For those of you who went this route, how has your experience been?

I have no interest in trying to replace my torsion rods (I'm pretty sure one is missing entirely - or broken), but if I can stop using the broom handle, that would be great.

How involved is the install? Given there are no instructions online, I'd rather know what I would be in for prior to purchasing.

2. crazypurgatory

crazypurgatory Veteran Member

I was looking at the Fesler hood hinges a while back as much as I liked them there a bit pricey.
    I did some research and found eddiemotorsports.com they have the same stuff at better prices.
    Here is a link to the trunk hinges. https://www.eddiemotorsports.com/category-s/191.htm
    I got my hood hinges from them and they look awesome I got them much cheaper doing a price match from summit.
    I'm going to get the trunk strut kit you can get it from summit racing for $102 bucks.
    You can down load the instructions from summit it does not look too hard to install.

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the same issue. Both of my rods are there, but a spoiler was added, and they're not strong enough. I understand about the broomstick for certain. I have a small peice of black plastic and stick it under the hinge when I open my trunk. Nobody even sees it, and it's not in the way. I think it was 1 5/8 diameter. Low buck fix for certian. Just a thought.

twozs likes this.
  4. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

I have the Fesler trunk struts and their stuff is very nice. I have a video to make on the trunk install, however I haven't had much garage time lately due to work and life in general.

As far as Eddie Motorsports goes, I had a terrible experience with their hood hinges and while their products look nice, their customer service is terrible and that is me being nice. Lucky for me, I had also purchased these from Summit and Summit refunded my money. That's when I found Fesler.

Buyer beware on the EMS stuff. There will never be any of that stuff in my garage.

5. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

I had seen that in another thread...regarding these parts, though, I'm not really too sure what would be bad, considering it is only a couple machined blocks of aluminum and a strut - I could see where hinges might have problems if made wrong.

What issues did you have?

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

3/4 PVC coupling = $1.00 . works fine also

cadillac_al likes this.
  7. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

My EMS hood hinges looked great. One worked fantastic, and the other had a kink in it, meaning it would work fine and then about 3/4 of all the way being opened it would jump. There was one bearing that had a rough spot in it. I paid $40 to have it shipped back, they examined it and sent it right back to me, said it was ok. They were suppose to call me when they received it, but that didn't happen. When I tried it, I had the same problem. I even asked to exchange the one for a different one and the answer was no. Summit let me return the set with a full refund.

I think EMS got aggravated at me because I didn't install them on the car. My thinking was "whats the point if it doesn't act right on the bench". Too me it would have been worse with the a load on them. My fear was once the car was painted the bearing would fail completely. I never installed the strut on them. I was just working the hinge up and down.

I have bought parts for my Camaro for several years now. Most times the parts are as described and there isn't an issue. If there is an issue, I don't get upset, I just pick up the phone or email and it gets resolved. I just wanted a hinge that worked as the other did. I even invested $40 extra bucks to make that happen. If it wasn't for Summit I would have been in trouble.

I was dealing with one employee at EMS and he is the only one I dealt with. Looking back at it now, I should have asked to speak to his supervisor.

8. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

You're not wrong - I'd have thought the same thing. Why would I install something I know is broken.

And yes, a bad bearing with load on it...no good.

Double R Restorations likes this.
  9. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

I've installed the trunk strut kit. I have removed the torsion rods from my car and didn't want to replace them. The kit was easy to install, but without the torsion rods, the trunk doesn't spring open when you turn the key. You have to lift it, but when it's up, it stays up.

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So you're saying to leave the torsion springs in place so that they will "pop" the trunk open, and then let the struts hold it open after you raise it up?