FI Tech with In-Tank Pump for 71

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Cooldawg, May 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Very close to pulling the trigger on tanks inc EFI tank with all their goodies (sender, straps, GPA-4 pump, etc) for a Fi Tech 30002 install.

A poor carb/cam combo/ tune washed out my prior motor, so despite my engine builder being an old school carb guy, I prefer EFI. All the details aren't worked out yet on the motor other than it will be a street 406/427 dart while maintaining a stock look under the hood. Probably upper 400 to mid-500 HP range, which is why the GP-4 makes sense- a little over kill but that's what we do, right? :)

Given the car is a survivor, I figured swapping the tank makes more sense than FCC. Roughly $500 for the whole fuel system didn't seem all that bad, I could invest my labor, there would be little to zero welding or drilling, and I could store the original unmodified tank in the event the car is ever remarried/ restored with the matching engine.

I'll just swap out the tanks and install new 93 blended capable supply/return fuel lines in parallel with the original. That might make it possible to install the new lines & filters without drilling and attaching brackets as well...

Given the popularity of Fi Tech/ tanks inc, I thought there was a pretty good chance a Nasty Z'er may have already done this exact conversion. Just have a few questions if so:

How loud is the pump?
    What ignition system and was the timing function of the EFI system incorporated?
    I assume a separate vent may need to be routed...? Where would be a good place to route it?

I suspect the existing cap is vented because I've never detected any pressure when removing it...

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Got the Chevelle website. They have a ton of posts on this topic. Great resource a d the guys are helpful. You might want to to consider the Sniper over the Fitech. Look on there and come to your own comclusion.

3. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

Just completed the same set up on my 81 z

4. dailycruiser81

I have all tanks inc, pump, sender and tank. Barely hear the pump at all. I ran two fresh lines up the driver side. Not much room on passenger side. I put subframe connectors from pro touring f body to make it easy to attach the lines. I have not integrated timing with the system. It's a pretty slick set up without the need for an ac idle up. I put a new crate motor from Year one that had never been fired neither had the efi. She fired right up.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'm running Tanks with a different EFI setup, but yeah the Tanks stuff is very nice hardware and very reasonably priced too. I've had their fuel tank on the car for a couple of years now. What was cool was they upped the capacity for the early second gens from the factory 17 gallons to 21 gallons, but you can't really tell by looking at (it still looks factory from the rear of the car).

Any rate, I've ran tank down to ~1-2 gallons of gas and no starvation issues.

Ask them about blems too... I ordered a blem they advertised on their site....(had a couple of scratches and a minor dent in an area that can't be seen when installed).

But it saved me close to $100 on the price, so I was more than willing to accept the minor blemishes!

6. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Thanks for that information. Where did you run your vent?

Btw, that Year one crate looks like a very nice motor- and great value. 400+ hp roller w/ aluminum heads. It's a wonder they can make money especially when you start pricing pieces and parts.

7. dailycruiser81

Back up to the front. The tank came with a vent , if you go on their site you'll see it.

8. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

Did this same swap on my 81 last year as well, with Tanks Inc tank/pump/reg. I agree the Chevelle thread is a great resource and has helped me figure out various tuning issues. Some of my experience on your questions mentioned:

You can hear the pump run but is not too loud. You won't notice it with the car running, I think even with a stock quiet exhaust setup. I actually prefer to hear it when I key on just so I know it's working.

I ran my vent host up to and just above where the filler cap sits at the fuel door. Short/simple and have had no issues with venting.

For timing, I am very happy with my setup using my existing HEI. There are probably small advantages to having FiTech control the timing in terms of low end drivability, but it is one more variable to troubleshoot when you're getting the system up and going, and one more thing to buy depending on what you have.

If it helps at all, I also ran the Tanks Inc LS1 filter/regulator (58 psi). Is mounted a little ahead of the tank on the underside of the trunk.

One more point, you've probably already considered it, but I highly recommend cutting an access panel in the trunk. Definite peace of mind for changing the pump or troubleshooting. And of course checking for fitting leaks on the first startup.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  9. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Good info, thanks.