Fiberglassing speaker enclosures-pics

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I want to apply fiberglass to the wood enclosures and vertical side of the plastic speaker grill
    - - - Will fiberglass strengthen the wood enclosure seams and the wood-plastic grill seam?
    - - - To apply fiberglass to the plastic speaker grill, is a particular resin-hardener needed ?

I have never used fiberglass. Suggestions how to go about it would be appreciated.

Do not want to apply fiberglass to the door panel. Want the grill and enclosure removable. Once the exterior is cured will remove, take out the speaker and put a layer along the inside seams

Below is one of the lower door panels for my 71 with a 4" speaker. I just finished making wood enclosures for all four sides for both panels

The wood edge that contacts the plastic grill will be glued (Loctite Plastics Bonding System)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. Project-Z28

Project-Z28 Member

I have built some custom speaker and sub boxes . Now im not saying my way is right but use mdf instead of plywood. It doesn't absorb the sound and a little easier to work with. For what your building just the mdf and some carpet or material and shaping of the mdf should do the job . Use pl preium to put it together with the help of a nailer . Fiberglass is easier to work with on a big project if you haven't done it before .

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016