Filling the fuel tank on older cars: any problems?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by berg2695, Jul 15, 2018.

1. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Here is my question for any of you who live in areas where the gas station pumps have seals on the nozzle to prevent vapors from escaping while you fuel up: Do you have any problems getting the tank to take fuel rapidly? I used to think the pump had some kind of vapor recovery system, but after studying the systems on newer cars I found out that the seal's purpose is to force the displaced vapors through the cars onboard vapor system. The vapor systems on newer cars are therefore much bigger in diameter than on older models like we have. The vapor pipes have to flow a lot of volume to keep the pump from clicking off. I am modifying my tank for fuel injection and was just wondering if it might be a good idea to upgrade the venting system while I am at it.

2. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

I did not do anything extra. I have a stock tank with 4th gen bucket and stock GM 0-90ohm fuel level sensor.