Finally installed the Boregseon steering box

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Apr 13, 2019.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I have to say, very nice. Very good performance for the money considering how inexpensive it is relative to other "performance" boxes.

The tight on-center feel is back (the way it was before my AGR box started going out)... easily as good as my wife's Inifinity QX60. Steering effort is just ever so slightly less than my AGR was (I actually preferred the AGR in that regard), but I'll get used to it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.

So yeah, the Boregson steering box and u-joint steering shaft is a fantastic combination. Definitely recommend!

dave@ztech and largestar like this.
  2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

took the car out for another test drive today... definitely a great steering box.

Early Sunday morning on the local freeway (no one on the road)... briefly got up to a "good" speed and again, the on-center feel is fantastic (has that little bit of "detent" feel to it that the newer cars have)... probably also a function of the 6deg caster I'm running as well as the u-joint steering shaft.

Literally zero play too (also probably a function of the u-joints)... As soon as you move the steering wheel the car responds.... but at the same time it's not overly-touchy.

3. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Do you have a part # or a link? thanks. Im glad your happy with it. I need to update my gear box also

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you swap the orifice valve from the AGR box into your new box? May get the same feel that the AGR had by using the same valve.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

It's actually not that big a deal... In a few weeks, I probably won't remember the difference. It's actually a very minor difference that was noticeable in the immediacy of the first test drive...

7. rburrow87

rburrow87 New Member

What do you mean by "detent," like how it wants to snap all the way back to center? I have both a 2nd and 3rd gen and I hate how the minivan has better feel/accuracy around center even though the 3rd gen has a WS6 box I rebuilt myself and doesn't seem to have any slop, just that springy/spongy center.

I've been debating pick up this Borgeson box too, but for my 3rd gen (with a Jeep intermediate shaft), but my experience with steering gears makes me wonder if they all have the same general feel. They've all been original or rebuilt Saginaw 800 boxes though.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Yeah mine will snap back to the center. But it may be a function of the 6deg caster I'm running.

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What u joint fittings did you use?

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

It depends on your steering box input shaft.

I'd call borgeson and theyll you exactly what part numbers you need.