Finally ready for my 2004r swap

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 7.62fmj, Mar 25, 2019.

1. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

Got the email today that my kit from CK is shipped. Have a local shop highly recommend that is charging labor and letting me bring parts (will still warranty the build). I have a couple questions before I get elbows deep in the swap.

1) I saw a thread about using a th400 cross member. This is appealing due to cost vs BTO and because I've heard BTO can interfere with dual exhaust. Is there a specific year I need to look for on an 81? Is it worth trying to pull one or is Sunmit or Jegs my best bet?

2) Can I just tell my builder my gears and tire size and he'll put in the appropriate speedo gear?

3) A used mega shifter and a new shift works conversion cost about the same. Which is better?

4) I am planning on using a lockup converter. I only want it to come on in OD, which lock up kit should I get?

5) Am I forgetting anything beyond cross member, TV conversion, and shifter conversion?

6) Will WOT shifts from 3-4 kill my trans?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

If you have a th350 then you can cut off the mounting tab and move it to the back. This will you give the correct length for th400/200-4r.

3. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

No welding ability/equipment

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

better off using the STOCK th350 crossmember and relocating it rearward.
    1) there was NEVER a th400 installed in our cars ...Late model 2nd gen!!! (it matters)
    2) by modifying a th350 crossmember into a TH400 x-memeber as stated..... the crossmember will NOT allow running a deep pan OR pan removal with any ease...;) (tried that first)

My 81" had growing pains too.... but really not that bad. You will move your th350 rearward about ....6.5 inches IIRC DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT NUMBER!!!
    While it is a PITA to do ...it is quite managable with NO SPECIAL tools.... a paint stir stick a 2x4 a couple pieces of coat hangar, tape measure and drills and a 1" hole saw (or drill) IIRC

5. Fbird

i think the vacuum lock up kit your are looking for it TCI
    either shifter will be fine... I went with a stock "slap" stick and just converted the gate....all of the "ratchet" sifters I have ever used sucked (except the cheetah scs) unless you use a MORSE RED JACKET race cable. The chinese cable they come with is too sloppy to get a positive forward AND rearward ratchet....IMHO

6. Fbird

7. Fbird

you have some more questions for Chris...:)
    yes tire and gear they can figure your speedo needs

8. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

No it won't.
    I assume the kit comes with an extra friction for OD.

9. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

I'll take a look through those threads and also give Chris a call. I thought the 2004r used an electric lockup?