First Camaro - 1980 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by flak monkey, Aug 6, 2011.

  1. flak monkey

    flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,064
    2
    Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Noticed that I was getting fuel starvation at less than 1/3rd tank fuel - not ideal.... So I decided to modify my spare fuel tank with a larger rear facing sump. Just need to weld in the AN10 fitting and then leak test, paint and fit.

    Hopefully another problem solved, now I just need to sort out those 1/4 times...

    [​IMG]
     
  2. flak monkey

    flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,064
    2
    Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    I finished off my gas tank install and fitted new 1/2" feed and 3/8" return lines.

    [​IMG]

    My new FTI converter arrived this afternoon so I've started to to get ready to drop the transmission out. 2 more bolts and then hoping it will drop low enough to get the converter off without having to remove one of the headers.

    New converter is an FTI SRLT48082, 9.5", 4000rpm hard hit, billet front cover, lock up.

    Hopefully that will wake it up a bit!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  3. flak monkey

    flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,064
    2
    Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Replaced my 2.5" mild steel exhaust today. It always been too low and it was really quiet with the Thrush mufflers.

    Fitted a Pypes SGF13R - race pro mufflers and 3" stainless tubes. A but tight around the gas tank and it took me the best part of a day to complete the swap.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Vid of the old exhaust
    [youtube]BpvRtEREum4[/youtube]

    And heres the new one
    [youtube]XhZZOlgudWY[/youtube]
     
  4. flak monkey

    flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,064
    2
    Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    I haven't done anything on this for a while, been using it, mostly racing!

    But the rear axle was getting noisier and noisier and making some pretty horrible grinding noises at times too, so I decided it was time for a major rebuild.

    So I bought a new gear set, bearings, seals, and a few other bits to get it sorted.

    Today I finally got around to fixing it, although I haven't tested it yet. Might be worse than it was before :lol:

    The good news is that after I had it all stripped down everything looked to be OK. No damage to the axle shafts where the bearings run, and the carrier all looked to be in good condition too. I think the source of the noise was the fact that the pinion pre-load was very light and there was no carrier preload either, I just pulled it out by hand.

    Gears looked a bit worn and the backlash was on the high side of acceptable.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    New gears were fitted with the original pinion shims which seem to have worked out just right for the depth setting. Then I had to have a bit of a play around to get the backlash dialled in. Settled on a consistent 0.007". The gears were marked 0.006" but I thought that was probably going to be close enough...

    Cue messy yellow gear marking compound to see what's going on. I was happy enough with this pattern to go with it.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then I pulled it all apart again and fitted the pinion crush sleeve, new pinion seal and nut and torqued it down. Jeez it took some effort to crush that sleeve! Pinion nut was Loctited as well... Pinion pre-load is a smidge over 20inlb, with the new bearings it should be fine.

    Last job tonight was pop new axle bearings and seals in, refit the axles with new c-clips.

    Next thing to do is a final check on everything inside, refit the cover and stick some mineral based GL5 LSD oil in it for break in. I'll change it after 500 miles for some posh synthetic stuff assuming it doesn't still make horrid noises!
     
  5. flak monkey

    flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,064
    2
    Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Swapped out my intake today. Removed the sheet metal one in favour of an Edelbrock Victor Jr with a 1200cfm throttle body on top of it. Doesn't quite make the same visual statement, but it's actually a much cleaner install without all the duct work.

    I went for a quick drive and had to add quite a lot of fuel (about 8%) in the upper rpm range so I would guess it's making a bit more power than it was before.

    The air intake temps are way down as well, only a few degrees above ambient when moving now, before they were a good 15-20deg up. The air filter sits right up the the hood scoop, so there's ample supply of fresh, cold air.

    Next major job will be swapping the cam out for the replacement from Cammotion, but first I want to run it down the track and see what difference just swapping the intake will have made.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  6. rustorbust

    rustorbust Veteran Member

    203
    0
    Dec 14, 2009
    San Diego
    Just read through most of the build and it looks great. Question though, What adapter plates did you use? Did it put the bellhousing on the LS close to the same location as where the SBC was at?
     
  7. flak monkey

    flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,064
    2
    Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Thanks.

    They were Dougs adapter mounts with the 1" set back position, which actually puts the rear of the block in the same place as the traditional SBC
     
  8. flak monkey

    flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    1,064
    2
    Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Fired it up today for the first time in a month or so.

    Hoping to get a bit of use out of it over Christmas if we get a couple of dry days :)

     
  9. Bandit723

    Bandit723 Veteran Member

    2,083
    224
    Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Has a good growl to it - sounds good!
     

Share This Page