First Time LSX swap review

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jb451, Aug 5, 2014.

1. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Looks good!

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I cant dyno the LT1 swap until the exhaust is flowing correctly. I wanted to also
    dyno the Avanti, but .. with my luck it would explode.:roadkill:

Sounds good on the dyno once all the fart machines and firetrucks go by. What
    the heck is that on the right hand side of the video wiggling the whole time??

Tom

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

Honestly Tom, no clue. I don't remember having anything on my hand or in front of me. My girlfriends hair maybe?lol

What up with the exhaust? Not routed right or something?

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Could be her hair ... that makes sense.

Oh, the routing is good, its just that when I was getting it ready for smog, it still
    had the stock 1978 exhaust on it. I made the Y-pipe to single 3 inch for the CAT
    as required since its a 1994, but the stock exhaust was only a 2 inch single pipe.
    I made a reducer/adapter to bring the 3 inch down to 2-1/4 to bolt up to pass in
    the smog referee testing. Then I found the transverse muffler was in the way to
    run the rear sway bar and the EVAP equipment. I got a Magnaflow exhaust for a
    1978 Camaro, but it uses only a 2-1/2 union, so I left the reducer/adapter. I did
    some calculations and found that 3 inch tube down to 2-1/4 is a 43% reduction
    in area! I did not think it was THAT much. That explains why power drops off so
    rapidly at around 4 thousand rpm.

That said .. it still amazes me we got a 0-60 in 6.1 seconds with a 2.41 diff and
    two people in the car.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259226

[​IMG]

Tom

5. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

So for anyone else in the US, the remedy would be to up the exhaust size (and remove the CAT completely), but seeing as how you have to deal with the smog stuff, how are you going to tackle that? Are you going to toss that 3" Y on and ditch that reducer still?

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

The CAT I used was a high flow, the claim is about 4 hp loss, I can live with that.
    The Y-pipe, if you have seen my thread is all cleaned up inside, ported, my flow
    is directly restricted by the reducer/adapter. I left it on because the Magnaflow
    CAT back bolts up to it. I brought it to a local muffler shop and asked the guy if
    he could remove it and cut off the front of the Magnaflow to a point equal in the
    area of a 3 inch tube, but he told me that he felt it wasnt harming anything. That
    did not instill much confidence in having him do my Avanti exhaust (he asked if I
    would let him do it a while back).

The plan is (once the oil leak is solved in the '99 Camaro SS) to bring the '78 into
    the garage, take some measurements of the Magnaflow "Y" to see at where it is
    the correct area to increase flow, and design a better flowing connection.

Had I used a 1995 LT1, I could have used two CATS. Or had I used a B-body as
    they had two CATS in 1994.

Tom

7. Iknow2

Iknow2 Veteran Member

did you remove or relocate the a/c compressor or the power steering?

8. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

No A/C, and the alt and PS pump stayed in their factory truck configuration!

9. Iknow2

Iknow2 Veteran Member

thanks ^^^^^

10. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

what kind of mpg you getting