First Time LSX swap review

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jb451, Aug 5, 2014.

1. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

I live less than a 1/8th mile from where i work, so the car either barely gets driven or i don't rack up enough miles to tell city mpg…. However, i have taken a few mini road trips, and i regularly got 25-28 mpg. T56 and 3.42's work pretty well if i say so myself.

2. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Sounds good .. seems to make good power. Manual cars are fun, but I sure miss
    my 1993 Camaro Z28 LT1/4L60. It was so much fun to just throw into a slide or
    couple donuts or what ever. The 2004 GTO T56 is more of a handful, with shifts
    and slower steering .. more body roll .. etc.

Get an IROC box and a rear sway bar .. its worth it. Shocks, springs .. etc. I did
    all those things on the LT1 swap and it pays off.

Make sure you research bar sizes ... too big a bar in the rear is dangerous.

Tom

4. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

I was thinking of using one off of a T/A, i've got a bigger one up front from custom works. I don't think i'll need a huge bar anyways for a street car.

5. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

You should go back to custom works and get a rear bar to match the front.

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

+2

If you already have an aftermarket bar, your best bet is to buy the matching one.

Tom

7. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

Problem Time!!!

Yesterday the car was running like crap , it was bogging down on accel/decel and backfiring. Got it home and hooked the scanner to it, showing PO171&174, lean conditions on both banks, which to me, indicates a vacuum leak between the MAF and the intake before the individual cylinders. Used propane, water, and brake cleaner to see if i could find the leak, no dice.

Only other thing i could think of is fuel pressure, but when it bogs down if i get the throttle in a certain spot, or try to stab the go pedal quickly, the car will run fine for 10-15 secs. Anyone know of something else i should check? Symptoms only show up after engine reaches operating temp, i would assume due to the 02 sensors being in closed (i think) loop. Fuel filter was also replaced not too long ago due to the original one i had collapsing in on itself. (see a few posts up)

Thanks fellas.

8. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Really good write up! I just sat down and read it all, start to finish. This gives me hope that I too would be able to pull this swap off. My 355 is a good engine, but it sure would be sweet to bring the car fully into the 21st century. Wish I could help with your current issue, but I'm a EFI dummy. I will however be watching to see what the issue turns out to be.

9. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

For your running problem with the p0171 or P0174 its usually either fuel pressure, or dirty mass air flow meter

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Easy enough to check fuel pressure and write that one off. Arent these swaps a
    ton of fun? ;)

Tom