FiTech switchover pump question

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by giggity, Dec 20, 2019.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I recently got a great deal on a FiTech 600hp system with command center pump a few months ago. I currently have a Demon 750 on a moderately built 402. I have a stock tank, added a return line sending unit, using a Holley gerotor external pump and Holley regulator, regulating fuel pressure to 7psi, with a return line to tank.

Im currently looking at fuel injection in tank pumps, Tanks Inc and Aeromotive. Im curious if I can run high pressure fuel injection pump regulated to 7 psi for the Demon carb until I get a chance to install FiTech system. FiTech system will require a lot of install, that I want to wait until the car is more drive-able. I currently have the gas tank out because Im doing bodywork on the rear of the car, and Im about to put in a fresh built 12 bolt rear so Id like to just go ahead and replace the tank with the new fuel injection in tank pump when I button things back up and be done with the rear of the car.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I read an article recently where one of the car mags did that, don't remember which regulator they used. Their test was for carb vs efi so they didn't want to buy 2 pumps, regulators, etc. However, that's an extra expense you really don't need to incur. Holley makes an excellent efi pump with built in return and regulator. Get the car running with the carburetor you have now and when you're ready, make the switch straight to efi. IMHO
    https://www.holley.com/products/fue...uel_pumps/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-301

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

says its regulated at the pump. I might have to inquire about this. My regulator is Holley 12-842 - Holley Billet Fuel Pressure Regulators ...which according to holley is only good to 9psi. Ive sent them a product question asking if this would work since I do have a bypass line

APPLICATIONS: P/N DESCRIPTION PRESSURE RANGE INLET/OUTLET SIZE RETURN SIZE
    12-841 Carbureted Billet FP Regulator, Adjustable, Return Style 4.5 to 9 PSI 3/8” NPT 3/8” NPT
    12-842 Carbureted Billet FP Regulator, Adjustable, Bypass w/ Idle, Return Style 4.5 to 9 PSI 3/8” NPT 3/8” NPT
    12-845 HP Carbureted Billet FP Regulator, Adjustable, Return Style 4.5 to 9 PSI 8AN O-ring in/out 6AN O-ring
    12-846 HP EFI Billet FP Regulator, Adjustable, Return Style 15 to 65 PSI 8AN O-ring in/out 6AN O-ring
    12-847 Dominator Carbureted Billet FP Regulator, Adjustable, Return Style 4.5 to 9 PSI 10AN O-ring 8AN O-ring
    12-848 Dominator EFI Billet FP Regulator, Adjustable, Return Style 15 to 65 PSI 10AN O-ring 8AN O-ring
    12-879 Carbureted/EFI FP Regulator, Adjustable, Bypass, Return Style 4 to 65 PSI 3/8” NPT 3/8” NPT
    12-880 Carbureted/EFI FP Regulator, Adjustable, Bypass w/idle, Return Style 4 to 65 PSI 6AN O-ring 6AN O-ring

One other benefit of replacing the tank, I was going to upgrade to the 20.5 gallon tank. Its slightly bigger. But I dont need to have that, its just a "nice to have" kinda thing.

4. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

I have an Aeromotive 18135 Gen II Stealth tank that I got for my EFI conversion and I ran it with a carburetor initially because like you, I didn't want to do the fuel system stuff and EFI setup all in one shot. I used an Aeromotive 13301 return style fuel pressure regulator to bring it down to 5 PSI for the Q-jet. I went with that regulator because it comes with a spring for 3-20 PSI and a spring for 20-65 PSI, and it also has a vacuum/boost reference port which some EFI systems want. Aeromotive says it is not designed to hold pressure after the pump shuts off, but I don't see an issue with that since it's return style and most or all EFI systems prime for a few seconds anyways.

I ended up with a Holley Sniper which has its own regulator so I never got to try it at higher pressures, but I'm considering dumping the Sniper for a sequential port injection system which probably will need it. Only thing I don't like is that the ports are NPT rather than o-ring AN fittings.

giggity likes this.
  5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

guessing you have to drop the tank and remove pump to change spring?

6. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

Only if you somehow mount the Aeromotive 13301 regulator in the tank. :) The Aeromotive tank itself doesn't have any built in regulator, so I just had it mounted under the hood when I was using the EFI tank/pump with a carb.

Doesn't the FiTech have a built in regulator like the Sniper?

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

ha! I read one of the tanks setups had an internal regulator in the tank...Ive looked at so many, Im not sure which one is which now. Im leaning towards Tanks Inc now. I can get whole setup for 500 bucks, and Im pretty sure someone tanks inc said its the same tank manufacturer for both companies.

As far as the FiTech having a built in regulator...I dont know. I haven't read the instructions that far in, but my issue with the regulator is putting a higher volume FI pump in while im still running the carb. Im not going to put on the FiTech until the car is more drive-able

8. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

The Aeromotive regulator I have handled the 200 liter per hour pump in their Stealth tank without any issues when bringing it down to 5 psi. It claims to be good up to 250 gallons per hour. But it seems like the regulator you have should handle this though. You could just dead-head the outlet to a pressure gauge and run it for a bit before hooking it up to the carb to confirm it.

Did you run the return line all the way up to the engine bay? I think it's best to run it that way unless you're sure the system you have (or system you might change to one day) will be happy with only a regulated feed line hooked up.

I almost went with a Tanks setup but I settled on Aeromotive because it was in stock at Summit so it would show up quick and was a little cheaper in the end. It's clearly a stock replacement tank that has been modified and painted or powdercoated. I've had it installed since October and have at least a couple thousand miles on it now. It's as quiet as a mouse. And I don't mean "hot rod" type of quiet, I mean modern car fuel pump quiet.

I'm sure the Tanks/Holley setups are great too. I like how the pump is actually centered on those. Aeromotive puts the pump/basket/foam in the front right area of the tank instead. Also wondering how the foam and basket will hold up over time in the Aeromotive, wasn't really thinking about that when I chose it.

9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I ran a full length return line to the current regulator. I went ahead and bought the billet EFI/Carb regulator from Holley, looks almost identical to the one i have....my guess is the spring is different in the regulator. Ill come back and post the tank setup when im done.