Floor Pan Advice

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by NeoNeuro, Aug 30, 2015.

1. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Hi Everyone,

I pulled the carpet out of my 78 yesterday and was disappointed to find rust in the passenger floorpan. To me it doesn't seem terribly bad. One hole smaller than a pencil. I banged on the floor around the hole and it seems pretty solid. What do you think? Is this worth cutting out and replacing or can it be patched? What would you recommend for a patch?

BTW, what is the black stuff that they used to seal the seams? Where can I get it or is there a better substitute? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Check from underneath ... the correct way is to cut a patch and the quick way is if the holes are that small I would fill it with a welder and then use POR15 to neutralize the rust.

3. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Cut that hole out and get a 16ga sheet metal patch mig welded in. Also, peel that black seam sealer off and clean those areas, trouble in the making there with rust already present. Clean that metal good to shiney metal...

that black stuff is seam sealer...available at most parts stores...

4. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used 3m seam sealer. It's held up great!!

5. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Clean with by sanding with 80 grit and then treat with acid rust nuetralizer or sand blast all rusty areas if its just a small hole spot weld it. Make sure if you use acid to nuetralize and clean before painting. If you the area expands after cleaning make a small patch and weld it in. I wish my floors looked like that.

6. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll raise it up tonight and see what the bottom looks like. I'm probably going to play it safe and cut it out and replace with new metal, but want to see whole picture first. Thanks again.