Flowmaster 50 series vs Dynomax Super Turbo

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by ULTM8Z, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

WHich has less interior noise? Less exterior noise?

Anyone running the Flowmaster 50's? Opinions?

2. BlueCamaro

BlueCamaro Veteran Member

My opinions.. Flowmaster = BlowMaster. Flowmaster is THE WORST muffler Ive ever used, Id rather buy a JEG's turbo muffler than a Flowmaster.

Also, the Dynomax Ultra-Flo's are $10 cheaper per muffler and make a really nice rumble like old muscle cars (and the Ultra-Flo's flow at 1133cfm, the highest flow number Ive ever seen)

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Can you be more specific? What about them didn't you like?

4. Dougs67camaro

Dougs67camaro Veteran Member

Almost everyone on here hates flowmaster mufflers! They say they flow like crap. I talked to one of the engineers at flowmaster. He said flowmaster mufllers rely on heat and sound energy to make there mufflers work. I myself have always used flowmaster mufflers and all my cars have SCREAMED! Everyone has an opinion, i just think everyone should be educated on a product berfore they condemn them. Just my opinion!....Doug

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  5. Ted

Ted Veteran Member

+1 on that (flow benches don't always show the whole picture)

I have either a 50 or 70 series on my Z71 and it is not much louder than stock.

6. EdgesZ28

EdgesZ28 Member

I have run both Flowmaster 50 Deltaflow Series and Dynomax Super Turbo series on my 1981 Camaro with a 383 SBC with a mandrel bent 3" dual exhaust, with H-pipe and full-length tailpipes.

Both are quiet at idle and cruise with little interior noise or resonance. Wide open throttle is louder with the Flowmasters. The Flowmasters will fit better on your Camaro if you are using the 3". The 3" Dynomax mufflers are like 5"+ tall.

I currently have the Flowmaster mufflers on my car. I am very pleased with the overall sound. As far as performance, a dyno may show a few HP one way or the other, but who is really going to feel the difference between the two?

I have two videos on my website that give you some idea of how it sounds. Just remember the quality is affected by the sound card and speakers in your computer. www.edgesz28.com

If you want quiet all around, including WOT, go with the Dynomax. But if you want quiet idle and cruise, but a little kick at WOT, go with the Flowmaster 50 Series (DELTAFLOW). The Deltaflow makes a difference.

Best of luck, Ed

7. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

385roller... Yes everyone has thier opinion, but alot of guys here are not opinion based and that's why I stick around here. Alot of us here deals in facts.

Your opinion is you like flowmasters for thier sound, look, fit or what ever reason, but fact is they are not one of the best flowing performance based mufflers on the market now.

10 years ago they was top dog in exhaust, but they just lived on thier customer base, and ads. They stopped their big R&D program and a few years ago other muffler companys stepped thiers up, bringing better mufflers onto the market.

I do have flowmasters on my car, and it does run great. I only used flowmaster cause I had 3 of them laying around in the yard and I ran out of money so I used what I had at the time. I will be upgrading later this spring/summer though and when I do I wouldnt be shocked to see .15 seconds are better times with dynomax mufflers I will be going to.

Look up the flow #'s on mufflers. You'll be shocked to see what flowmasters come in at lol.

Well I think I have the #'s on this computer... Here you go

From one test..
    OEM corvette (early 70's) 225 cfm
    Flowmaster 40 #42540 352 cfm
    flowmaster 50 362 cfm
    dynomax super turbo 410 cfm
    dynomax ultraflow ss #17263 1000 cfm
    dynomax ultraflow 1133 cfm
    dynomax ultraflow ss #17296 2200 cfm

From another test.....
    All tests via an independent lab
    All tests @ 15” wc

Standard OEM 2 ½” Inlet/Outlet 161-197 CFM
    2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster 229 CFM
    2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM

8. Dougs67camaro

night rider,Again learn a product before you condemn it! Did you not read what i wrote about how a flowmaster works? Putting a flowmaster on a flow bench does not show how it works in real life situation! Call up flowmaster and talk to them. I don't realy care if anyone likes them or not! I myself was going to put some borla xr-1 race mufflers on my car but decided not too. Reason being, i myself hate the sound of any of the straight through mufflers. They sound like a bunch of firecrackers going off in your exhaust when you jump on it! AGAIN this is my opinion! I guess my hole thing with my post is LEARN how a product works before you condemn it. It just seems that flowmaster gets a bad rap when i think they are a great performing and great sounding muffler:) So if you are correct and i loose that .10, i will take that small loss for a good sounding muffler! Cannot state this enough, THIS IS MY OPINION! .....Doug

9. Dougs67camaro

Ed, car sounds awsome:cool: :D :) !.....Doug

10. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

385 roller... I fully respect your opinion. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind about the exhaust you like. There's alot of flowmaster fans and thats why they still are in biz. Flowmaster would be the last place I would call to get info though.. That goes for any company really. Thier job is to sell you thier part, not to give you real world info.

Heck look at how many brands of mufflers, headers, carbs, intakes, cams, rockers, etc there is.. You call every single company and I bet you each company will tell you thiers is the best and give you some lame reason why.

I do think your comment was uncalled for though. You don't know the guys, what products they know, what they know about each product, etc. So you jumped the gun with that comment.

I can only speak for myself here, I want bore you with info on myself but I will say I don't post unless I know the facts, so yes I do know the product real well. I ran flowmasters for years when they was the best around. Now they are no where in the running. I don't want to come off as a smart butt or know it all but I have ran, and tested just about all the common parts for performance use so I do know what works and what don't and the how to and whys of the results

Like I said I have them on my car now, but it's cause they was laying in the yard for over 5 years. There's a reason I took them off back then and it wasnt cause of sound. I don't care about sound or looks. It's power, speed, and ET I'm after, always has been, always will be.

Let me get this straight.. The techs at flowmaster told you.. A flow test will not sure the right cfm cause thier mufflers works better when they get hot? Do they have heat controlled baffles or valves inside that works like a stock choke and opens as they heat up, that I didnt see when I cut one open 8 years ago??

Wow flowmaster techs knows how to get people to belive anything is all I can say to say..

Hotter the muffler gets the better it flows... Never heard that one before lol

So it's YOU that don't fully know the product. Not me or other people. You just know what a flowmaster rep told you. Thats not knowing a product. Have you flow benched it cold and hot to see the diff, have you ran back to back dynos or even passes at the track with the EGT's at colder and hotter temps, if so what EGT temps did you test at? Have you even cut 2 or more diff mufflers in half to look at how they work?

I really wish you would do some more research with out going to the company that makes the products though. Everybodys job there is to sell you a flowmaster so they will tell you anything you want to hear.

Do some research from independent testers, dyno shops, drag racers. Then look into air flow, exhaust design, concepts, and theroys. After all that research you will see what the tech told you is just a sales pitch.

Again I'm not coming down on you, or saying your opinion is wrong. I respect what you say and think, I just wanted to let the facts be known, not what was told by a rep of flowmaster.

That's all I'm gonna say on this subject. No more on this from me.