Flywheel Cover or no Flywheel Cover?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 1975RS, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:54 AM.

1. 1975RS

1975RS New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Been looking at some vintage Camaro underbody photos and noticed some of the flywheels do not have covers on them. I've recently put a flywheel cover on my Camaro because there was not one on it when I bought it last year. I spoke with a couple enthusiasts who claim that the reason the cover is off is due to the heat factor, ya know causing unnecessary and possibly damaging heat inside flywheel / torque convertor body. Well...the cover is to keep debris from entering and damaging the flywheel gears, etc. Plus there was one on when the factory made the car so...

Any opinions or facts anyone may know of on whether or not a flywheel cover should be on (or off) of the car? :confused:

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Apr 26, 2018
    I have never ran them and never had an issue. hundreds of thousands of miles in rain, snow, mud ,gravel roads and off roading.
    I did have an issue with one Ford that I would drive through muddy nasty water holes with and many times water to the bottom of the headlights. which is put the 33" mudders and the fender openings under water.

That issue was the starter would fill up with that muddy water and gravel or small pebbles would gather in it and after i shut it off and fire it back off It would not crank over.
    I would pull the starter and rinse it out well and stick it back on and I was good to go.

But that had an automatic transmission so a flexplate and not a flywheel.
    And it was starter issue. And it was a Ford and had a cover on it.

One guy I knew had his cover off and I asked about the 2 buckets of sand in the bed of his truck.
    He said his rear seal leaks on the engine and has ruined his clutch and after a week or so the clutch slips pretty bad.
    So while the truck is idling he would reach into the bucket and get a handful of sand and toss it into the spinning flywheel area trying to get as much into the clutch area as he could.
    He said 2 handfuls of sand is good for about a week or week and a 1/2.

Yea think about that!
    I have known some tight people but he won the prize that month.

budro6968 likes this.
  3. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I used to work for Public works just out of H/S. They had some old 60's GMC 305 V6 Dump trucks and a few that were for picking up leaves. They all had leaky rear main seals. The old guy I worked with used to make me crawl under the truck while running and spray Starting Ether up in the Clutch while he depressed the clutch pedal. I was a little wary but it made the clutch grab. I thought how cheap they were. But I guess they did what they had to to keep them running.

jeff swisher likes this.
  5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Most of the time when when the cover is missing .They were lost after some sort of maintenance .And were never replaced and or they considered it too much of a hassle to re install it.

6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Mine was gone when I got the car. Never could find one to replace it. 4 speed with just the plate on the back side. I'd put one on if I could find it. Doesn't seem to hurt anything without it though.

7. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    The flex plate cover will actually catch oil if you have a leaky rear main seal. Then when you drive the car the oil will leak out the weep hole and not on your hot top driveway. Without the cover the rear main will leak directly on your driveway. When I do drive without a cover the starter gets a lot of dirt in it but they do still work. I would rather have it on

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Although it was a while ago, I got an NOS one for the 73Z from Classic Industries. They didn't advertise it as such. I called a few dealerships and got some prices and I noticed Classic was selling them for the same price. Rolled the dice and got lucky that time with a discount, free shipping, and no sales tax.

I've run daily drivers without a cover before, but wouldn't do it with a car I care about. I'd rather keep the dirt and debris out of there. Also, you never know what can happen when you're driving (ex. squirrel!).
    To me, it comes down to what you're using your car for. Is the car just for racing? Is it a show car? Is it a daily driver or a cruiser? Is your car just to beat on and burn tires off?
    I've never heard of keeping the cover off because of excessive heat. Perhaps that's just for racing. But if your car is just for cruising and you have an excessive heat issue, maybe that's an indication of a problem. By keeping the cover off, you're not really solving the problem, just alleviating the symptom.

9. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Apr 26, 2018
    that picture above does not look like a transmission with a flywheel :)

As far as dirt and stuff I do not get much dirt up there I think the spinning of the assembly acts like a fan and blows stuff down or just blows stuff out.
    Lots of off roading and never had to dig any grass or mud out of that area.