For those who have done the swaps..

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by DoTheDew, Dec 3, 2010.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And BTW, my previous post was inspired by this post - I am reading all the good threads on this topic and learning as much as I can.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2193807&postcount=10

2. adam78

adam78 Veteran Member

i was rolling this around my head for a while, i think i am going to do an LS3 swap, but not for a while down the road, once my 350 needs a rebuild, thats most likely when i will do the swap, for now im happy with my lopey 12mpg 355 =D to be honest, if i had an ls3 or the sort that did get 20+mpg with an o/d tranny, it would be my DD without regret, i'm so used to the 10-14mpg DD anyway, it would be a huge improvement, giving me toy car for the side i can drop a 454 in o_O

3. 76_TypeLT

Luckily I don't have any motor or tranny installed or picked out, so my possibilities are wide open. For whatever reason I had originally thought about going with a 383 (just a more nostalgic muscle car motor) but as I read more threads and thought about all the ways I might/could drive my car, the LS just seems to make more sense.

But with that said, I am not the type of person who wants to cobble together a bunch of parts to make something work if I can help it. I understand you have to swap certain things out to make these motors work in our cars, but some options provide a straighter path than others. I'd prefer something that is "neater", even if it means a little extra money. If it also means I can install it myself, then that is an added bonus.

This doesn't really take into account the T-56/TKO600/4L80e "conundrum", which can be dealt with separate from the motor issue.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Only thing that really needs to be swapped is the motor mounts, cross member, and shortened driveshaft. Modifying the existing fuel tank for fuel injection is a bonus. The rest is just piecing the motors together the way you want them.

Just getting an LS engine in , costs will vary hugely on which engine you choose, and what parts you choose.

I bought a 26,000 mile GTO LS1/4L60e in 2006 for $4700 shipped. That was a fully complete engine & trans with car accessories, fuel rail, intake, injectors, PCM, Harness, flywheel, torque converter etc. My local shop quoted me $6500 to do the install. :rolleyes: I declined, because it was too much for me without knowing exactly what I was getting.....and it was just a quote. That was after I already told them I had Speartech doing the harness mods and PCM flash.

I declined that option and did it my way and got the parts I wanted. I ended up spending:
    ~$1800-2000 in labor & home delivery. (Would have been 2x that if not for friends)
    Some of that was for swapping my oil pump and a custom curved intake pipe & K&N air cleaner
    ~$750 was Speartech for the PCM & Harness mods (Higher prices today)
    ~$1700 on headers, sidepipes, turbo baffles & install (My option)

~$550 Billet Aluminum alternator relocation kit & alternator.
    ~$550-$600 New gas tank modified with Bosch 420 fuel pump
    ~$100-$150 fuel lines and connectors
    ~$100 LS1 radiator
    ~$40 Hoses
    ~$200 various other details
    ~$399 new or $200 used F-body or CTS-V oil pan (I broke even selling my GTO One)

Mind you I already had a working crossmember, and driveshaft coming from a 700R4 to this. Now add the premium for a NEW engine. PLUS the shop prices to get the parts a NEW engine doesn't come with AND the labor to install them. ;) Accessories, Pulleys, Sensors, Flywheel, Torque convertor / clutch, etc. Plus if you go GM Vortec LS you will most likely swap the intake, injectors, cam......it all adds up quick.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. 76_TypeLT

Thanks for that info Aces. I was reading threads like crazy last night - I sorted threads by # of replies and went at it. Aside from the things you need to swap to make the LS motor fit, I saw one guy use a sub frame notch kit for the A/C compressor, which I will not be doing. Would just assume relocate the A/C up top than mess with the frame.

I am going to go look at JamminJ's LS install to get an idea. 6+ months ago I would have said I could not install an LS and tranny, but it doesn't seem that far out of my reach given all the info available, esp if I get a crate LS and stick to the parts that are known to work.

6. 76_TypeLT

And re: the costs involved. You are right, it can add up. But thinking LONG TERM about this car and how I'd like to drive it, it makes sense. Not trying to be a d-bag about it, but I have the money to spend on the engine and tranny, so my main concern is doing it RIGHT. That means doing it right the first time, which usually means spending more money up front. But that also usually means spending less money LATER to fix things that weren't done properly, etc.

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

"Doing it right" to some is an open wallet bleeding endlessly with 100% done in a shop.
    To others, it means doing their research and saving where they can. :)
    Spend more on these parts instead of those parts, etc. No 2 swaps are the same.
    My 2nd LS swap , if I do it ......will be cheaper because I can do more myself now.
    (I'm still debating a C6 Z06 for 2013 once my $1000 a month student loan is paid off)

Throwing money at things isn't the only way to do something right.
    Trust me, I've learned that one. If you can afford to do the swap, get on the horse and ride it.
    Plenty more information out there these days to make it straight forward.

Notching the frame wasn't acceptable to me either.....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  8. Desirerme2

Desirerme2 New Member

I have ran them all in the past. Like many have posted its all in what you are wanting out of the car. I am back to a 383 stroker with a good old double pumper on top. But I am changing tran.s from my 350 turbo with a 3500 stall to a 4L60 with a 3000 stall. I need the extra gear,The moved from Il. to Ark. is making me I have to be able to get on interstate without getting ran over. no back roads to get from my house to work. Being said I might go to a fuel inj. set up on my 1gen motor. They are cheaper in price then a complete motor change ($1500 to $2500). But it depeands on your budget.

9. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Remember that the 4L60E absolutely needs a computer controller. Aftermarket ones, e.g. from TCI, cost about $700- $800.

10. 76_TypeLT

True, "doing it right" is a subjective phrase. That could mean spending top dollar on every component to some people or just getting something that works for the cheapest price possible to others. For me it's more about doing (or getting) a quality job and having something that will consistently work.

If I go the LS route, I am definitely going to look at doing the install myself since there is so much damn info about what to do and what NOT to do. The more I read, the less daunting it seems, esp when I can ask questions here if I get stuck.