For those who have done the swaps..

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by DoTheDew, Dec 3, 2010.

1. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I bought the necessary Alternator and PS pump bracket kit from Kwik Performance. They also sell an A/C bracket kit:

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

I haven't looked at the available crate engines, but IMHO I don't see why/how one would fit a Gen-2 better than another. I would recommend a "car" engine over a "truck" engine though. I started with truck-engine accessories and ended up changing to "car" engine accessories and belt spacing. (Different water pump, harmonic balancer and mounting brackets.) The car accessories make the engine almost 1 inch shorter (in front). I would avoid the "Corvette" accessories as they make things more compact than they need to be in a Gen-2.

Most LS create engines do not include the computer/harness in the base price. GM Performance sells a kit with the Computer (programmed for performance), harness and electronic throttle module (drive by wire) for about $900. Drive-by wire has some advantages, but you will have to replace your gas pedal with an electronic gas pedal module. Not bad, just different.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does the mechanical gas pedal absolutely need to be replaced with an electronic pedal when doing the LS swap or is that only if you decide to use the electronic throttle module?

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

you only use electronic pedal with DBW. I think all the gen4 engines are DBW.

Camaro LS1s for instance are cable driven throttle bodies, use regular pedal

4. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

only if you are swapping a motor that has "drive by wire" throttle body. I dont know exactly when they switched over but I think it was around 03-04 on the truck motors. I know all the F-bodys were cable.

5. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

You might want to research this on www.ls1tech.com, but here is my understanding:

Most LS1 engines use drive-by-cable (some later ones switched to drive-by-wire).
    As far as I know all LS2 engines use drive-by-wire and therefore need an electronic gas pedal.

All this is according to the "stock" computer for the particular engine. While a computer can be "programmed" (with tuning software), there generally are two things that cannot be changed:
    * A computer is specific to either a 24x or 58x reluctor wheel crankshaft sensor (newer are 58x)
    * A computer is specific to either drive-by-cable or drive-by-wire

Some aftermarket shops have figured out how to change even these "fixed" parameters in a computer, but it will cost extra and might introduce other problems (such as your tuning software not recognizing it or not programming it correctly).

One "solution" is to use a different year/model computer. For example I have a 2007 LS2 engine run by a 1998 computer (although I plan to change to a 2002 computer). I wouldn't recommend this as it required changing the crankshaft from a 58x to a 24x reluctor. (The previous owner did this.) Therefore I have drive-by-cable on my LS2.

Before ruling out drive-by-wire (and the corresponding newer computers), you might want to research the benefits, such as traction control. Also the newer computers are smaller and therefore easier to mount or hide.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very interesting info, thank you for sharing. I'm going to keep reading more threads here and at LS1tech