Frame reinforcement for 454

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Bowtietillidie, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Bowtietillidie

Bowtietillidie New Member

Hey guys new to the page, i have a 1980 berlinetta. It came with a 305 But I'm currently building a 454 to drop into it. My question is are there any recommendations for reinforcing parts of the car to handle the torque and power the new engine will produce? Such as Unibody reinforcement, suspension, upgraded brakes. I'm not building it for racing, i just want a nasty summer cruiser.

Thanks, Mack

Attached Files:

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Weld-in frame connectors and replace the subframe mount bushings with aluminum or polyurethane. There's always the trade-off on the bushings between NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) between the aluminum and the polyurethane. Next step would be a full cage and it doesn't sound like you are needing that. That usually goes with a full strip or autocross level car.

3. Bowtietillidie

Okay thank you, any recommendations for where to look for such parts and approximate prices?

Thanks, Mack

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I suggest Detroit Speed for the weld in SFCs. They also sell solid body mounts, but so does places like Global West. I would avoid the cheaper alternatives. There are SFCs that bolt to the leaf spring pockets, but the DSE ones will weld into the floor joining the front and rear frame rails (very solid). If you have deep pockets, I just saw a nice bolt on (with minor cutting and fab) full frame for a sec gen on TV.

If the frame is stock, Keith Custom Works had some re-enforcements to tie the frame horns. I think its called the G-Bar. Hotchkis also sells some stuff too. Stick with high quality stuff. Don't be lured in with cheaper parts...You get what you pay for. People seem to overlook things like tube diameter, TIG welding, hard coat anodized, OEM/correct appearing hardware (flange heads, locating tips, length) versus hardware store bolts etc.

5. Bowtietillidie

Okay awesome info, and yes i understand the get what you pay for thing for sure. I'd prefer to stick with bolt on As it's my first build and I'm not a welder. But I'll be looking into these brands for sure.

Thanks, Mack

6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

What trans do you plan to use behind the 454?

7. Bowtietillidie

Planning a th350, i have the stock one from the car, and one came with the 454

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

only recommendation is BEFORE you weld up the subframe connectors to the fron frame rails.....get the car aligned !!!....to ensure you are squared up. when replacing the subframe bushings it is MUCH easier to do 1 entire side at time as it is almost impossible to do 1 at a time. In doing so it is easy to loose alignment reference. reference the "how to change body bushings" here on nasty ;)......
    BEFORE you weld up the sfc's... ;)
    If you have ANY considerations to go to an OD tranny....NOW is the time to drill new holes in the sub frame....much easier to do (measure) when seperated from the body.....NOT impossible....but easier... ;)

search is your friend!!!

9. Bowtietillidie

Very good information thank you,

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I would seek out a direct bolt in crossmember