Front Coil Spring Question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by britchris, Nov 9, 2019 at 11:11 AM.

1. britchris

britchris Veteran Member

Folks,
    Are there springs out there that give a stock ride height and stock spring rate but are shorter in length than the standard stock springs? I'm thinking not as the spring length likely plays into the spring rate. The reason I'm asking is a shorter spring should be easier to install. If such a spring exists can you post spring name.

Thanks

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your having problems installing springs here is how I did mine. Hook lower control arm to spindle (which is attached to upper A arm. Install spring in pocket, ensure end of spring is oriented so it is between the two small holes in the A arm pocket. You need a 12 inch square piece of 3/4 ply, a piece of 1/2 inch al thread long enough to go from bottom of lower control arm up through the upper shock mount. Run the all thread through a hole in the middle of the ply, put a nut and fender washer on the all thread, put the ply on the bottom of the control arm with all thread going up through large hole in arm, lift the lower arm up enough to guide the all thread through the upper shock hole, put a nut and washer on. Then jack the lower control arm with a floor jack and continue to spin the nut down down on the all thread, guide the control arm up into the pockets where the bolts go through the bushings. Some times you have to drop the jack and reposition it to get the angle right so the arm will go up into the pockets straight, but the all thread will hold it while you do this. I think I may have had a bottle jack too to put on one end of the control arm or the other to get the angle right and jacked it a bit to guide it in once I had one side started. I did both of mine this way and it was pretty easy, did have to use a tapered line up bar to move the arm around a bit to get the bolts through the bushings. It has been a while since I did this and the only step I am not sure about is, I may have left the lower control arm disconnected from spindle at first so I could get the all thread through the upper shock mount then jack the arm up slightly and connect lower ball joint. I know that arm sits at a heck of an angle with the spring uncompressed. These springs are a b-tch and I got the idea from a tool I saw that is a $100+ tool that takes the place of my ply and all thread but basically does the same thing. I had numerous problems with spring compressors (scare the crap out of me) and this worked well. I didn't have a front end or engine in the car at the time so I had have some way to hold the frame down while I jacked it up. I took a rear hitch cargo platform apart and stuck the 2 x 2 square steel piece that fits in your hitch receiver and put it in the hitch receiver of my car, then I backed my car up so the steel bar was under the front frame rail and used a 10000 pound aircraft ratchet strap around them both, basically holding the frame down to the ground with my other car. I can email you pics, all my pics in my progress thread are blurred out do to the crap with photobucket. PM me if interested in my idea.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Shorter is easier to install, but really not by much if you just take your time. And you are right. A shorter spring has to make up the height under load somehow, so it would just have to be stiffer. There are some good spring compressors out there that make it easy as well, but our cars are manageable.

Edit: Just read post above. You get the MacGyver award. Great info there, and yes, there are some crappy spring compressors out there. The best ones for our cars is as you describe, squeezes it up into the frame with the lower control arm.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 2:31 PM
  4. britchris

britchris Veteran Member

Thanks, yes I'd be very interested is seeing pics of the process. I'll send you my PM details. Thanks for taking the time to give me a very precise response. I really need to sort out the front suspension, it's the original everything apart from the shocks. It's now has a slight lean to starboard.

Thanks!

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

probably front coil is not "seated" in the lower control arm correctly. It must be "clocked" according to the end of the spring....to sit correctly

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

I don't think he has actually changed the springs yet. If it is starting to lean as he says, likely a broken spring on whatever side "starboard" is...sorry, not a boat guy.

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Port has 4 letters, left has four letters, that was how I remembered when I joined the Navy.

GoldenOne7710 and cadillac_al like this.
  8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Perfect. Even I can remember that one.

9. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member