front fender patch panels

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 70 1/2, Oct 17, 2016.

1. 70 1/2

70 1/2 New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    mpls MN
    HI ordered some lower rear fender patch panels for my 78 and the part where the bottom of the fender bolts on was not on the panel, had I tried to bolt it on it would have deformed the panel as the panel has sort of a curve or reinforcement buckle on the bottom, is that the way they all are or is there somewhere to get a correct one?:mad:

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Front fender or rear? In front of the tire or behind it. I've replaced both front & rear on my 78.

3. 70 1/2

70 1/2 New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    mpls MN
    front fenders (not qtr panels) lower rear section, the ones I bought had no provisions to bolt them onto the car

4. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
  5. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Luton, England
    I recognise that lower picture ;)

That fender has been repaired before (not by me), but was done with flat stock, not a patch panel. That said, they have cut the inner brace out and not attempted to replace it.

The patch piece I've got is the same as the upper picture, doesn't have the mounting holes, but it won't take much to cut them out.

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    im working on a set of 1970 camaro fenders, not sure if its the same as your year, but im trying to find a new sub-brace to weld on before I do my patch panel. I suspect it needs that support, thats a pretty thick piece of metal

[​IMG]

7. 70 1/2

70 1/2 New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    mpls MN
    so there are no patch panels that include the bracing or the reliefs for the bolt ons? yes I too am needing the inner bracing

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    not that im aware of for camaros. Ive seen them separate for trucks for some reason...seems odd since you would think camaros would be more common, but maybe there is more rusted trucks than camaros....who knows.

9. 70 1/2

70 1/2 New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    mpls MN
    the patches I have did not go far enough to "cut them out" plus the panel is indented in that area so if you just drilled some holes and bolted them on they would distort and possibly distort the part you can see-

10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I still havent done mine yet, scared to cut them in fear ill screw them up. I found a guy with some 72 fenders, and they were worse than mine. Stupid Craiglist.....