Front License Plates

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Dec 28, 2019.

1. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Yeah, California requires it and it ruins the looks of most cars. My wife absolutely refuses to drill holes in the front bumper for the plate. My friend (retired cop) told me he occasionally used the “no front plate” to pull over cars if he thought something was suspicious and there were no other violations.

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

LMAO!!!

3. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Lots of states that require a front plate don't enforce it unless it's for revenue generation or as quoted above.
    I've been the lucky recipient of such stops. A fix it ticket is what you get if the LEO is really wanting to punch out some numbers.
    No fine involved but you do usually have to pay a "court processing fee".

4. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Texas requires one. Cops I know use like the license plate light ticket.---- call it the dwi probable cause ticket. Catch more drunks that way.

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

No front plates here in MS. None in neighboring TN either.

6. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

When I had the USA-1 plate on the front of my 70 Z28 I used to get stopped once in awhile. Several of my current vehicles don't have a front plate and one has a facsimile plate on it. A guy whose car I was looking at saw my car I had driven there and asked me if I ever got stopped. I replied that I don't do anything to attract their attention.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Good setup here in Ohio for a seldom driven car is the historical deal. One time fee for life, under $30, no front plate required. Can run a year correct license plate for no added fee, just fill out a form. Been running this for a year now and no problems from anyone.

8. VIZ28

VIZ28 Veteran Member

Here in British Columbia we require front and rear plates. I have collector plates for my 71 Z28 and the front plate sits on the floor behind the drivers seat. Never been hassled by the cops.

When I has a Honda S2000 (which I traded in on the 71 Z28) I had a sign shop make me an exact replica of my front plate, on reflective material that I applied to the front of the car, retaining the stock body lines. Many cops saw this and thought it was a great idea.

On my truck camper, I have a laminated colour printed copy of my truck plate (so I don't have to swap it out every time I load the camper). Crossed the border about a dozen times with this set up, never had an issue.

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My home province of Alberta went front plate-less many years ago. I believe it was billed at the time as more of a cost saving measure, only having to make half the amount of plates as before.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Police are pretty stupid if they say a front plate serves no purpose. Off the top of my head, for security camera reasons during a crime, hit and run and other traffic accidents.