Front Suspension Squeak

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by MP81, Jul 13, 2018.

1. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    So currently I am battling a very loud suspension squeak up front. Loud enough that you can hear it echoing off the houses in my subdivision at night while driving through it at ~25mph.

It's easy to make the car do it while sitting in the garage, as well, just by pushing down hard on the fender (either side). It seems to make the squeak during compression as well as on the rebound back up.

This only started occurring after I got the car back together from the suspension upgrades I did: Hotchkis springs, Global West upper & lower control arms (Del-A-Lum Bushings) and a Hotchkis Sway bar, along with all new Proforged steering components (center link, inner/outer tie rod ends, billet tie rod sleeves, and an idler arm).

I'm hoping to dig into it tomorrow more than I've been able to with the car on the ground/tires on, but was hoping maybe someone encountered this issue before.

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    On the A-arms, I have Delrin bushings. Despite being grease-able, the passenger side started to squeak just a bit, and I found that I had to loosen the nuts just a little bit to get rid of the squeak.

If you have anything with urethane bushings, I'd also consider them suspect as well.

3. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Supposedly they're already greased, per Global West. I think the only poly bushings might be the for the swaybar, but I know I slathered those things in grease when I installed, so that should still be present.

But yeah, the bushings is a good thought (I guess I didn't think Delrin squeaked like poly likes to). I torqued them down to spec, but I should be able to hear the squeak if I jack that side's suspension up, I would think.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have delrin bushings in the a-arms and poly on the sway bar also. I initially torqued to spec the arms but they were dragging so I readjusted, making sure they were snug but not tight enough to cause any drag or binding. I also slathered the poly in Mobil 1 grease and I've never heard a squeak from mine.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I could be any moving part You just have to go through step by step .Until you find it,

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The top washer on my shocks made contact and squeaked. Easy fix. I’m not the only one that has happened to.

joselk1 likes this.
  7. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Yeah, that is the plan for Saturday. Get the wheel and tire off, and hopefully be able to replicate the noise with the jack. That way, I can grab parts while doing that and see if I can "feel" the point of vibration linked to the squeak. If it's a bushing, I would think a quick spray of something like WD40 or PB blaster should lessen or eliminate the squeak long enough to tell me that it was the culprit.

Oh really, on the underside? I installed these before doing all the suspension work, and reused the bushings, since they have like...150 miles on them. But it's possible. With the wheel off, I might be able to see if that's the case.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Good point. Yeah I had that same issue and it was freaking LOUD. I had to D-shape the washer to get the clearance to the frame.

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    No its on the top side under the A-arm. The washer was rubbing against the frame.

10. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Oh, I don't think mine is rubbing there - got probably half an inch of rubber between the washer and the top of the spring perch. But it's something easy to check. I put the B6s in back in 2016, and I don't recall them squeaking prior.