Front wheels rubbing

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Speed Happy '77, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Speed Happy '77

Speed Happy '77 Veteran Member

The previous owner installed wider tires on the car, but did nothing about suspension... now I have to be really careful on any dips and sharp turns or the tires rub on the wheelwell.

My question isn't about the tires, just about good - and cheap - suspension alternatives.

2. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    Without knowing more specific info it will be hard to say. There are several things that might account for the rub. If the tires are humongous, this could do it. Back space on the wheel would be another cause. If the front sits too low, the only way to fix it would be to install new springs. Let us know which of these you believe is causing the problem and we can suggest alternatives. Good luck.

3. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

Pictures are also helpful!

4. Speed Happy '77

I'll give pictures soon. The reason they're rubbing - well, the main one - is that the wheels are wider than stock, so they rub on the sides since they weren't built for that wide of tires. Also the (not sure exactly what it's called) rubber bumper stop is worn down and the tie rod end is ready to give too.

I'm just kinda curious what I could replace it all with... what's good, what's cheap, etc.

And springs would also be good. If I tighten the suspension, it'll help avoid rubbing. As I said, it's when I hit a big dip on the road, esp. going fast.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  5. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

PST is good and cheap.

Most here will steer you towards Hotchkis which is great stuff as well. I think it is not much more either.

You could piece it together with MOOG springs, Howe balljoints etc, save a little coin and spend more on the more critical components, but you probably will be better off doing a full kit. Sounds like the whole front end may be worn out.

Definitely concentrate on the tie rod ends and stuff that can create a safety issue first.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What size tires and how wide are the wheels?
    Do you know the backspacing on the wheels?

7. thedude327

thedude327 Veteran Member

8. heavy duty

heavy duty Veteran Member

Good, and cheep? Ah, the irony.

9. Speed Happy '77

Good point. I just want enough drivability to last me through the winter till I can get my daily driver back together, tell you the truth.

The tires are Eagle GT II - P235/60R15 (I've never done anything with tires, so it's why I'm a little confused)
    Here's the link from Goodyear:
    http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartire...eadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

If there's any information you need, I'll try and get it.

Attached Files:

10. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

when does it rub it looks like you have a lot of roon around that tire