Frozen Soda

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, May 16, 2012.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I received this small portable fridge from a friend's daughter who just graduated college. I loaded it up with soda. When I took out the first can, popped it open and took a drink, it was nice and cold. I put the can down and about 5 minutes later, I went to take a drink and the soda was slushy/frozen. How would that happen? Something to do with the amount of oxygen the soda is now exposed to?

I love to learn things everyday; hence why I ask the question. Thanks

2. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

May 5, 2010
    South Joursey
    Have this happen all the time when deployed. Pull a cold water from the fridge, shake it up real quick and it turns to ice. My interpreters couldnt believe it.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  3. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 20, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Known as "Flash Freezing" my daughter did a science project on this. Pretty cool.

[youtube]cgcVnP1A5II[/youtube]

RichP

4. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Great video!! Is the bottle top open?

5. onelapduster

May 5, 2010
    South Joursey
    It can stay closed. Basicly the water or fluid is just about to freeze when you take it out. The movement of the bottle causes the molecules to hit which in turn causes the freezing. (thats what I just read)

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The pressure in the can prevents ice formation at its "normal" temp.
    When you pop the top... It freezes.

A bottle of beer in the freezer will do the same thing if you take it out at the right temp.

7. nonstopgo68

nonstopgo68 Veteran Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Mobile, Alabama
    Yeah I have had this happen to me . Oh ,Yeah

8. onelapduster

May 5, 2010
    South Joursey
    Mmmm, slushie beer, sign me up!

9. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    I beleave its because the CO2 can lower the freezing point of a beverage, you pop the top and the CO2 escapes and the freezing point will be raised back to the normal temp water freezes (32*f).

Ive never heard of pressure preventing a liquid from becoming a solid, solids and liquids can not be compressed like a gas so pressure should have little to no effect.

10. rwild1967

rwild1967 Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Look behind you!
    It's the pressure. Water (which your soda and beer are both mostly composed of) is unusual in that the solid, unlike most materials, takes up more volume than the liquid, so the higher pressure tends to keep it liquid even at sub freezing temps. Pop the top, release the pressure, and the super cooled water freezes. In the case of pop the sugar content keeps it from freezing solid easily so you get slush.

Edit: both liquids and solids can be compressed, just not as easily as most gasses.

Last edited: May 16, 2012