Fuel lines for EFI?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by grzewnicki, Aug 4, 2019.

1. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What is everyone using to run new supply and return lines for a EFI system. I bought the MSD Atomic EFI and A Tanks inc tank and wondering what is the best option? Trying to get everything together to knock this out during my 10 day vacation in Sept. Unbelievable that the tanks inc paper work came with no list of included parts, took me reading through the direction to realize I was missing the pickup sock for the pump. The MSD instructions say it includes fittings for the included fuel line but there was no fuel line included. I was looking at push lock type hoses. The Tank has a 1/4 NPT on the pump for supply and return and the MSD has -6AN fitting. Figuring 3/8 supply line but haven't read what size return is required. These are some pretty crappy directions for a bolt on system. Also do you have to run a regulator on a return system...something else I have to buy?

2. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Interested in the answer to this also. Planning on using the Holley in- tank returnless setup, and was thinking about using the factory hard line... but not sure how to go from the pump to the hard line and hard line to efi.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

MSD says do not use hard line......hmmm. I got 1/4 NPT coming out of tank, gonna adapt to 6an then run to filter and find a 6an type filter, then to fuel injection unit. And same for return but have to plumb in regulator. Following MSD advice I'm looking at push lock type hose to do the whole run, but want quality stuff, see lots of Chinese crap out there. probably going to be another $300-$400 to plumb-filter and regulate. I'll have a spare $100 left when I am done, anyone want to come do the install for cool $100, plenty of beer in fridge!

6. 73LT

73LT Veteran Member

I used Earls Teflon core braided stainless steel line. It's the same type as used for flexible brake lines to the wheels. It comes in sizes up to at least 8AN. It is also suitable for power steering and transmission cooling lines. It is a little on the expensive side and the fittings are also expensive. It will last a long time.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

A lot of sanctioning bodies get nervous if you use more than a foot of "soft" fuel line.
    MSD probably wants you to use a braided line for the fuel tank connection to isolate vibration, a couple of inches of braided should do.
    Def use nylon or Teflon lined braided line. The conventional rubber stuff outgasses and makes the garage stink

8. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

PTFE AN lines. Size according to power level and fuel type, E85 needs a lot of volume. I've been using the Aeroquip stuff, but it's expensive. I have been meaning to find an alternative for my next build.

9. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I used all hard line with a few areas of rubber for vibration.

10. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

What about the plastic fuel lines that GM has used for many years? Then you could make push lock hoses.