Fuel lines: Hard VS Braided Steel

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, May 16, 2011.

Fuel Injection up to 500hp which is better ??

1. Steel lines

31 vote(s)
    86.1%
  2. Braided steel rubber lines

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. BLKnBad71Z

BLKnBad71Z Veteran Member

Ace-

This kit is used to repair factory fuel lines. Like the 4th gen camaro/firebird fuel lines. They are like nylon. You could use hard line and put this hose on that to your fuel rail and pump, or just run that line. If you know someone with a napa account you can get a break on the prices. We use this stuff at the GM shop to repair lines.

2. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There was an article recently in Car Craft or Hot Rod about the different types of hose out there. They kind of confirmed that braided hose is a little better than regular rubber hose, but doesn't last any longer. They said to be safe, one should replace it on a regular basis, like every year or two. To me that is totally impractical. Teflon lined hose is much more durable, but less flexible, and now there are other styles out there that are lighter, flexible, and durable, but of course, expensive.

For mine, as much as possible I used bulk hard steel 3/8" tubing and used an inexpensive flaring tool and tubing nuts and sleeves so that I could connect it to connect directly to #6AN fittings. I used short sleeves of regular fuel hose to make connections for the return line from the regulator/filter, and one foot of 6 AN braided steel/teflon hose to connect from the steel line to the fuel rail.

I think 7T3LS1's method may be a little more sophisticated, but I haven't tried it myself.

3. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Since I plan to run my LS2 to 600hp, I wanted to use a 1/2" feed line and a 3/8" return line. I used bulk aluminum tubing (from Summit), ran it next to the frame rails and installed AN fittings at each end.
    Reading on LS1tech.com, everyone highly recommends not using a stock near-tank regulator, but putting the regulator near the engine and using a return line. Since your EFI A/F ratio will be directly proportional to the fuel pressure, you want it perfect.

4. cubs2008

cubs2008 Veteran Member

That's insane!

Do they make large enough metal tubing to support 1000 HP? I think -8 is about 1/2?? I am running -12 to first filter and then -10 all the way to the rails and then -8 return. I went with the teflon lined hose. I agree the regulator needs to be after the rails before the return.

5. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

Sorry have to ask - what AN fittings are you using to connect a hard line to hose.
    Is this just one fitting? that connects directly to the line and you just "plug" your hose in it?

If possible name, description, link :)
    -------------
    About the link of BonzHansen

Someone got the normal name or a material description of it? - Maybe I can get that stuff cheap here.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

there are probably a bunch of different ways to do it but if by "hose" you mean braided, you can get compression to AN fittings and then AN hose ends. If you wanted to use plain EFI hose (I wouldn't but you could) you can get compression to AN fittings and then get AN to hose barb fittings (also listed as "push lok" connectors but you can use a push lok barb as a hose barb if you really wanted to

7. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

Sorry I am so bad at discussing that without exactly knowing what we are talking about.
    I understand that a braided hose is something like this
    VW mainly uses this
    [​IMG]

steel braided looks like this
    [​IMG]

And this is what you mean with compression fitting?
    [​IMG]
    This is what is used here for plumping showers and bathtubs.

So we are talking about the same?

8. daniel76309

Slip a nut and a sleeve onto the tubing:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=0&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&Ne=1%2B2%2B3%2B1147708&searchTerm=555-110382

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/110392/10002/-1

Then put a 37 degree flare on the tubing with this:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80084/10002/-1

You can then screw the tubing nut onto the male AN fitting and the seal is made between the flared tubing and the AN fitting. So easy even I can do it. :)

9. daniel76309

Maybe I can save you or someone else some trouble. The blue and red fittings are compression fittings, made by Russell IIRC. They use a brass ferrule or compression sleeve to make a seal to the tubing. I first used these, and they seem as if they would work. HOWEVER, I found out after this that they are to be used with ALUMINUM TUBING ONLY and are NOT TO BE USED FOR FUEL INJECTION. I don't know why, that is just the way it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Easy??? I've bought those parts but had no idea how to use them. This part is much easier to use and worked perfectly for me:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-639220/

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-639230/

Description: Are you looking for the right adapters to use with your aluminum fuel line? If so, then look no further than these adapters from Russell. Designed to connect aluminum tubing to -6 or -8 AN adapters, their unique crimp design eliminates the need to flare the tube, thus saving you precious time. They're available with both male and female ends for 3/8 in. or 1/2 in. diameter tubing.