Fuel lines: Hard VS Braided Steel

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, May 16, 2011.

Fuel Injection up to 500hp which is better ??

1. Steel lines

31 vote(s)
    86.1%
  2. Braided steel rubber lines

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My understanding is that the short return is to eliminate fuel heat soak associated with fuel rail return systems. This is also for emissions as the heated fuel needs to expand vapors and need to be stored/consumed.

Of course a vacuum referenced fuel pressure is best, but the OEM decided to adjust for this in the ECM to solve the potential smog/emissions problems.

My last project I used 100% braided, but now that I have to do it all over I think I am going to go with hard line and short as possible braided at the engine and tank. I have a 4th gen f-body tank in my 91GTA and I am going to re-do it all so I onyl have a few feet of braided, maximum. I will have one for the return and vapor return in all braided and then a short piece for the feed side to a hard rail. Will also mimize the amount of braided that will need replacing on a maintenance schedule.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

I think unless you're doing something pretty exotic and need super fine control of the fuel pressure it's not gonna be a problem. The LS PCM's are quite good enough to regulate in this situation with injector pulse and such in anything a normal street car will do.

I plan to use the regulator/filter back near the tank and only run 1 long line.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

What's good enough for Camcojb is good enough for the gander.
    Thank you very much Jody, and the rest. :bowtie:

Ya kinda lost me here. I'm a fuel line idiot because I don't know alot about them.

So how do I know what's mandrel bent VS non-mandrel bent ??
    In other words, I shouldn't take any hard line and bend it with a bender myself
    like this or I risk restricting the flow of the fuel ?? How do I make the bends then??

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

sent you a pm, but bends are fine as long as you use the proper bender to make a smooth bend. The inside of that fitting pictured coming out of the tank would look like an "L" if you cut it open, where the fuel goes straight in, hits a wall and is forced to turn 90 degrees; MUCH more restrictive than a smooth mandrel bend.