Fuel pump EFI - Internal or External, Pros, Cons??

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, May 4, 2006.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks, i'll ask about that.

2. Nutt

Nutt Member

This may be easier, and cheaper!

In-tank pump that's not in the tank. Easy to get to...
    http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/antisurgetank.html

edit- oops. my bad. late night. LS1 so no mechanical pump. You can use this setup temporarily if you had an electric puller (carb) pump feeding this one.

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  3. ZedMan

ZedMan Veteran Member

With an anti-surge tank, how would you make sure that the tank does not overfill or is drained completely? Would the two pumps have to matched? (ie. both 110gph, one at 45psi and one at 7psi?)

4. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

You have a return line from the surge tank back to the main tank as well, so it can't overfill. I'd run a bigger low pressure supply pump than the high pressure pump to make sur ethe reservoir is always filled. Although, if they were matched, they'd probabaly be just fine. Even if if the high pressure pump pumps slightly more fuel than the low pressure, with the reserve in the surge tank it would take a while at continous WOT to drain it.

5. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

Don't cut the trunk for a "trap door", these tanks are very easy to drop as compared to a 4th gen which is a whore. I've done a few fuel pumps in 4th gens and they are a major PITA.

I'd go with the intank pump ;)

I know it's not really applicable but here are some pics of the twin intank fuel pump setup I fabbed for my 94 Z/28. I had a D-1 Pro Charger (19#'s of boost) on the car and the second pump kicked on via hobbs switch.

http://www.geocities.com/marc94z/twins.html

Good luck

6. Doug Jaynes

Doug Jaynes Veteran Member

on my 70 I have a sumped tank that I mounted a Walbro 340 pump to sit down in the sump and its plumbed out thru the top. works great.

7. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

Mike, what did you do for the sending unit? I don't have a 3rd gen sender at the moment, but looking at how the 2nd gen sending unit is attached to the feed tube, I don't see how it would have any room to do its job with the 3" pipe. I really wish you had a pic! LoL