Fuel Pump Replacement - I'm stuck!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by britchris, Nov 3, 2019.

1. britchris

britchris Veteran Member

Folks,
    Old pump is out but I cannot move the rod, it is fully bottomed out. See pic, do I need to remove this plate? and if so....is there an additional gasket I need to get when I put the plate back? If I still can't push the rod upwards what needs to be done? Do I need to pull the plugs and manually rotate the engine?
    Also...the rubber fuel line looks 'ok' but I should go ahead and replace it. I have a piece of:
    Transmission Oil Cooler Hose 3/8" SAE J1019. I'll do some digging on the net to see if that is acceptable for fuel, but the main problem is I can't move that rod and I don't want to start monkeying around with hacksaw blades or screwdrivers.
    Thanks Folks.
    20191103_125258_resized.jpg

2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Remove the plate and yes there is a gasket for that.

3. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Seems to me years ago I had the pump shaft come way out like yours and just due to the length of it and the bores hole length it did not want to slide back up into the hole. It sorta got shifted one way or the other and would get bound up.
    Also too, it seems to me one of the bolt holes on the face of the block are in line with the pump shaft rod hole and make sure there is not too long of a bolt in there. I seem to remember one could temporarily put in a longer bolt to hold the rod in place and then once the pump was on, the correct shorter length bolt was then used.
    Jim

Cardinal likes this.
  4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Tap the plate lightly with a hammer, the rod will bounce back and you can hold it with your finger. Then the bolt trick will work.

Cardinal and cadillac_al like this.
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've had the pump rod fall down like that. I just fussed with it until I was able to slide it up enough to get a flat screwdriver and a piece of stiff wire under it. That way I was able to hold it high enough to get the fuel pump in.
    I wasn't so lucky as you. The engine block I was working on didn't have the hole drilled in the side for the short bolt so I couldn't use a bolt to hold the rod. I just had to fuss with it until I got it in place.

Cardinal likes this.
  6. Michaels

Michaels New Member

when i replaced my fuel pump i was lucky enough that the rod just fell out. that being said the install was difficult. the rod would just slip out until i coated it with a little heavy grease to hold it in while i bolt the new mechanical pump up.

food for thought

Cardinal likes this.
  7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

You may have to rotate the engine just a "smidgen" so that the eccentric on the cam will allow the rod to move into its most upward position. I use a hack saw blade or a feeler blade to hold the rod up and then slide the fuel pump into place and pull the feeler blade out. Yes, it's a tad tricky but it's doable. The suggestion to coat it with some heavy sticky grease may also be helpful.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A longer bolt here will hold it up. Do not make it too tight so you don’t bend the rod. Apply Permatex 2 sealer to the original bolt threads or you will piss oil.
    9D9EC4A2-D712-4A3E-88EE-66D0C218B54E.jpeg

Cardinal likes this.
  9. britchris

britchris Veteran Member

Thank you all. So....do I remove that backing plate? It looks like I will have easy access to the rod if I do that and then I can use the bolt method. I have the backing plate gasket, got it yesterday and also some replacement fuel line. Any downsides of removing that plate?
    Thanks!

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup, that backing plate comes off, then follow the suggestions that have been given already.