Fuel Stabilizer for winter storage, Do's, Don'ts, Would use, and wont's

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Smokin'Joe, Nov 25, 2019.

What's your vote

1. Sta-Bil

68.2%
  2. Quick Silver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Seafoam

18.2%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None

13.6%
  1. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We only have ethanol based fuels in my area. Historically, I would just start the car a few times over the winter and add in a new bit of gas here and there, but with the % of ethanol increasing every year, I thought I might get some opinions on what others use.

Looking for inputs on what you use, would never use, etc.

--

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

In a steel tank I don't worry about it. In plastic tanks like in lawn mowers I drain and run it dry. Old Camaro sits for 4 or 5 months, starts right up. Had an S10 in storage for 2 years, cycled the fuel pump a couple times, started right up and ran ok.

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

A local refinery, CountryMark, has pure gasoline in it's premium pumps. I topped the motorcycle up with it and added premium before filling. This has worked well over the past years.

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Stabil works awesome in my bikes and snow sleds. I never have carb problems like other people have. I am more lax with the cars though. Gas really doesn't go bad in 6 months of winter and old chevys can drink a little water quite easily anyway.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I agree with Tom3
    I have a Burb with a 40 gal tank. Over 4 years ago we had fuel perks from a local super market so we got free gas. I filled it up. Since I sold the race car trailer it doesn't get used much at all. Fired right up yesterday to clean it up to get it inspected today.
    I put Stabil in my generator, and haven't put gas in it for years. Haven't needed it. (looking for some wood to knock on) It fires up.

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In my experience...Steel tanks rust with ethanol because it is corrosive and it absorbs moisture. Small engines that have steel bowls on the carb have the same issues with the bowl rusting when the fuel sits in there for long periods of time and the pilot jets get gummed up and plugged with a jelly goo that can harden like concrete.

7. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I put Stabil in my cars and truck before storage.
    I drain the snow blower and my two generators and run them out of fuel.
    I fill the gas cans, but every couple of months, I dump that in my daily and put fresh gas in.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I use some Stabil in my small engines that sit over summer (snowblower, generator). The ones stored in the cold over Winter (lawn mower, rototiller) don't seem to need it as the cold weather preserves the gas. I don't put anything in my vehicle engines, but I use only pure G100. No alcohol here to shorten the life of the fuel.

9. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks to all for the replies. - Sounds like Stabil is still on the top of the list. I was kindof leaning towards trying seafoam, but I guess Stabil it is.

--

10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Stabil has worked so I never tried SeaFoam. However, I have used it to clean partly clogged carburetors on my old sport bikes.