Fusible link...

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Shakedown, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    My fusible link is giving me nothing but problems. the plastic casing thing holding it has a bad spring in it or something, and it seems that the fuse is loose in the casing.

I am about to replace it with a new fusible link, but I was wondering your guys take on these:

Are they necessary? If they are, why is it in my best interest to have one?

Can I solder in new wire to replace/delete it?

Please tell me what you think. Thanks a lot.

2. Erics69

Erics69 Veteran Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Winchester KY
    Since fuse-able links were original to your wiring you should just replace the link you are having problems with. They are not at all necessary but are nice. All they do is protect a certain circuit from overload that could cause a fire or other electrical problems. If a circuit develops too much load for a wire to handle but not enough load to blow a fuse block fuse they have a fuse able link which as you know is nothing but a fuse inline that protects that circuit. You should replace it. But I've always had first gen Camaro's which never have had fuseable links and have never had any problems. It's your choice weather you want to or not.

3. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for your opinion. Right now i'm 50/50. I could go either way. I just want to see what people say on here. I'm sure if I replace the the one I have now with a new one, I will be just fine. And I guess if I was going to solder a wire in there anyways, why not just solder a new fusible link instead...

I guess I have some thinking to do.

Thanks

4. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    A fusible link is there to protect the wiring, not the devices in the circuit. If large amounts of smoke and flames are what you are looking for, remove the fusible link.
    I'd be interested to see the wiring diagram of the particular Camaro you owned without a fusible link. Here's one from a 1967:

[​IMG]

5. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    I agree, put it back in.

When I put the fusible links back into my '80 (the previous owner's mechanic had removed them), I connected one end to a connector (that bolted to the starter) and I soldered the other end to the wire. I used heat shrink on the connections as well.

6. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    What circuit is this?

A fuseable link is a wire, 4 guages smaller than the circuit it's protecting.

What I think you're describing is an inline fuse - like you'd find in a radio circuit... a plastic case with a glass or ATO style fuse spliced inline. That's why you're talking about a spring & a case... I think?

A fuse is a fuse... fusable links are typically used in something that's designed into the system as a whole, whereas an inline fuse is often used to something that's being added to a system. As long as the circuit is protected appropriately, I don't think the style of fuse matters.

7. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    The "inline fuse" is what I think I am using. It is the plastic case with the spring.

They have always worked fine for me in the past, but for some reason, the spring in this case is just very bad. I am definitely going to use a new one, like you guys have advised me to do, instead of replacing the fusible link with wire.

8. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    Where is this inline fuse located?

9. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    The inline fuse was going right to the starter. But I relocated it further up the wiring, up by my firewall/cowl, and i'm glad I did because its so much more accessible now.

10. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Let me add that its still going to the starter now. Its just located further up.