Garage find

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Scott Sievers, May 24, 2018.

1. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

My first car EVER was a 1968 Camaro.. 250 three on the tree... My last Camaro was a 68 Camaro 327 supercharged with a th400 I ran at new england dragway about 20 years ago. My dream car, has always been a black on black 80 Z28 No t tops, 4 speed manual trans, with AC...
    I have come close several times over the last 20 years to finding a nice car, but there was ALWAYS some reason it did not happen... I had given up. Literally given up on owning that dream car. I graduated high school in 1982, I dreamed of owning an 80 Z.
    Last week, my wife called me... A fellow she knows, has known all her life... decided to sell his camaro. It has been sitting in his garage for 37 years. He took his daughter to prom in it, he drove it in a parade once in a while... The car has 47K original miles on it. My wife reported that it had two scratches in the paint, the size of a penny edge about half an inch long. it is a no t top car, with a 4 speed and factory AC.. but, it is the bronze color with a tan interior.
    When she asked if she should buy it or not..I did not let the color bother me...
    YES! NOW! BUY IT NOW!

So I get to make a trip to Maine to pick it up sometime this summer...

So what do you do with a car that is 38 years old, and is still all original, runs and drives and looks like it just came off the showroom floor?

LOL How many of youare going to HATE me when I tell you?

2. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Oh I don't know, black with tan interior doesn't sound too bad either....paint her black and drive the s*#t out of her!

71RSLS likes this.
  3. Scott Sievers

yep, I was considering the black and tan option. tan stripes and interior with the black paint. Driving me insane because it is 1300 miles away and I can't TOUCH it yet. I might have to hook the trailer to the dually and start driving!

71RSLS likes this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Do a long weekend run and get it. A guy drove from Virginia to Jax Florida to pick up My 64 Lemans. I think he did it in 14 hours. He had a partner drive with him. He said he was speeding the whole time. He was so excited to get it. Took it back on a tow dolly. I pulled the drive shaft for him.

5. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

talk is cheap

until we see pics this is just another "I'm going to fix it up someday" story

6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hope it's everything you wanted. Welcome to the site

7. Scott Sievers

LOL understood. Bench racing is all talk.
    Yeah, I have a gooseneck... A LOT going on atm, Wife says she is bringing it back this fall... I am going to go out on a limb and say... I will have to take a drive out there sooner than fall, like, as soon as I can possibly get free. It will be mid July. Also, I confirmed, it is not gold, it is the Bronze, much better than the gold. Pictures to update as soon as possible. I feel like that fifteen year old kid again, when Dad took me for a ride, said it was a road call, and we pulled into a house with a 1968 camaro sitting in the weeds by the shed... He paid 300 dollars for it, and I drove it home. 250 six with a three on the tree. Only time I was higher than that was when my wife of 31 years said yes.

Zstar and 71RSLS like this.
  8. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Very cool deal! If you can figure out a way to get it to Carlisle PA August 3rd, I could probably haul it back to Iowa. I'm going there for a large truck show.

9. Scott Sievers

Thanks man! I don't think I can wait that long. i think that the second week of July I am going to be making a road trip. Spend a week or two with the wife, pet the car a lot, put new tires on it, then trailer it back home. Until then..I am going through parts bins to see what I have... Unfortunately, it looks like most of whta I have are big block parts.. I do have a freshly bored .030 350 block that would make a nice 383... Also have a couple 400 blocks back in the corner... Maybe... I will sell all of it and buy a 434 and bolt a blower on it.... But then, 40% of the dream car is dreaming... right? Anyone want a predator carb? Old school Vortech Mag? 427 tall deck in running condition? LOL! All old school stuff. I know very little about the new LS trend... Not that I would to THAT to an 80 Z.

10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Think about putting a really good shine on it, cleaning it all nice and driving it as is for awhile before you tear it apart. The 3.73s with the 4 speed make it feel like its got some get up and go. Once you take it apart it will be a lot longer than you think before you drive it again. Besides once you drive it awhile it will give you a better idea of what you really want. If you really need to do something to it, put a new intake on it, get the Qjet tuned to a "stage 3", some headers and maybe a set of heads that you can re-use for the 383....that will give it some kick and maybe tide you over....

Very exciting. Enjoy every minute of it!

71RSLS likes this.