Garage lighting

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76z28, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I had issues with LED Christmas lights when they first started getting popular. Looking at them made me nauseas. I don’t have issues anymore with them.

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Still fluorescents and CFLs for me. Those LEDs are blinding bright looking at them and throw distinct shadows, poor diffusion. Need twice as many fixtures to actually do work with them I think. They are improving this deal but I'll go ahead and burn out what I've got before I switch. Sure like that big garage there!

gramps likes this.
  3. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I am with you on that, I wish they were in the 4k range... I didn't even look when I ordered. I am not a HUGE fan of their color but I can say they are VERY bright and do what I need.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I like the LED lights. The house is pretty much switched over to them. I still have a few fluorescent lights in service in my basement workshop, root cellar, and under cabinets in the kitchen. What I don't like right now is the lack of color selection on LEDs. I had one of the kitchen undercabinet lights give up. Nobody in town had any LED lights that fit under there and still have the 6000k lights I have now with fluorescent, so I ended up picking up another replacement bulb for the fluorescent. Also, none of the LEDs I found have a replaceable bulb so when they die, you are stuck buying a complete fixture every time.

The standard base LEDs I installed in my house have already had around 10% failed bulbs in the first 3-4 years of use. By comparison, the CFLs I had in there before the LEDs had no failures in 10 years. On the standard house lighting it doesn't matter because I simply screw out the burned up LED and screw in a new one. With the specialty lights, I would be stuck buying complete fixtures each time. They really need to make LEDs with replaceable bulbs for long term use.

5. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have been very happy with the cheaper 4' honeywell fixtures I bought from sams club for my shop 3 years ago. I have 18 of them in my 24x54 shop and with the walls painted white it is very adequate lighting to work in.

Suprising how many pictures of projects in the shop I have but how few actually show much of the shop itself. Here is when I brought my mill home a year and a half ago.

20180622_200745[1].jpg

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I have two CFLs over the kitchen sink that are on every single day for hours. Installed them a little over 13 years ago and they're still kicking.
    I still can't believe something like a light bulb made in this day and age was actually built to last.

7. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I have LEDs now installed throughout the house. I like them more--and they cost WAY less than the incandescents I took out.
    Looking at my energy meter on PGE my energy useage went down by about half switching over from 60w bulbs to 7w bulbs.(the fiance likes to leave lights on)

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Replaced my fluorescent's in the garage with Hyperikon's from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQIRPWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Got the frosted glass tube (cheaper than the polycarbonate) and 4000k color temp. Did those a year ago and so far no failure's. Had to bypass the ballast and change out the tombstones for the single end powered tubes.
    Did the house (30+ canlights) 4 years ago with Philips Warm Glow as I have just about all of them on dimmer's. Those too have been very reliable with 0 failure's. Surprised at how much it reduced the utility bill. Well worth it.

9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Bought a 4ft Hyper Tough LED light from Walmart for $12 on black Friday. I used the chains/hooks and hung it from the bottom side of the hood of my truck a couple weeks ago when I put a new water pump on it. It was excellent for that purpose.

10. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got 5 led light bars from Lowe’s for 36 a piece. They’ve been excellent. Really awesome, perfect lighting.