Gear Drive to Double Roller

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Tinfoil, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Tinfoil

Tinfoil New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Hi, first post here. I have a Blueprint 396 Stroker I just bought off a buddy. It's never been ran except for the dyno at Blueprint. It came with a gear drive on it, which I want to get rid of.

My cam is: Roller
    .510 Intake .520 Exhaust
    230 Intake / 236 Exhaust duration
    @ .050, 110 ° lobe separation angle

My question is (sorry if it's stupid), is there anything extra I have to do, other than pulling the gear off and putting on the new double roller? The reason I ask is, behind the gear on the cam you can see the block has been ground a little (see pic). Is that because the cam is a hydraulic roller?

Also, when I go to a double roller timing chain; do you have any suggestions of type or brand? Thank you for any input. I'm a little new to the engine building community, thus, I may be asking rhetorical questions here.

Attached Files:

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    When I installed a gear drive on a friends L78 I just removed the double roller parts and installed the Pete Jackson gear drive. Just do the reverse to go back. I've bought Edelbrock timing set and their gears are stamped GM. You can't go wrong with it or go with Cloyes brand. Cloyes also makes them for other companies such as Lunati. The grinding maybe was a clearance issue.

3. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

May 22, 2018
    SE Iowa
    I have always used Cloyes. August of 2010 I shucked a cloyes double roller on my mud truck 383. October 2018, last run of the year my buddy shucked the double roller on his sbc 427. We both went to the gear drives, the quiet ones with no noise... okay, they still make noise but are not as obnoxious as the ones machined to make noise.
    Having said that, mine came apart at exactly 8433 rpm. (Mem Tach) and my buddies came apart at just over 8000 rpm... Since then I recommend OTHER timing options (Gears, belts etc.) on engines that will see high rpm.... Maybe a bad run from Cloyes? No idea. in 40 years of building engines I have never blown a Cloyes double roller, and they were all I would use. In engines that do not see high rpm's or heavy cam loads with big springs and high lifts I still use them, so... it is only my opinion that you should stick with the gears, unless your 396 stroker (Assuming small block?) is going to see more reasonable rpm's/loads?

4. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    you need that button on the timing cover for a roller

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yep - as long as you have the button, I believe everything else is a drop-in.
    Good on you for dumping the gear drive - those things are awful

6. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Apr 26, 2018
    There could be a cam retainer plate behind that gear. Not a hard thing to do.
    No need for a button if that is the case.