Gen 2 Headers for GMPP Fast Burn Heads

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Cooldawg, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Wondering if anyone has found a set that will work with the "D" exhaust ports... Looking at SP350, ATK383, and BP400. One disadvantage to the SP350 is my Hooker Super Comps won't match up. I have a standard dual exhaust the rest of the way (2.5" with the Hooker collectors).

I fully expect to adapt to something different on the collector side, but I want to know I have a header that will work. Coated or not.

Thanks!

2. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

To clarify: looking for a set of headers that will work for 2nd gen (1971 4speed) with the Gmpp aluminum fast burn heads.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hedman makes a D port header but AFAIK it's not compatible with stock clutch linkage, will work with hydraulic clutch. Just about any 1 3/4" tube will be large enough for those heads. It's been discussed a couple times here and on some other sites.

4. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Thanks. If any 1/34 will work, that should really open things up. Looking at a nice coated set from Doug's- but the are pricey.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

A few guys tested the Fast Burn heads with D-Port vs Round Port headers a few years ago and found no difference in output.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm using Hedman 65104 on my Profiler D port heads. Just got the headers back from powder coater, look so nice I don't want to put them on.

7. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Just have to look at the port being covered enough by the flanges. The D is a little higher than the plain exhaust port.

8. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Well, my hookers are 13/4 (2117 1) so I’m going to at least try them, regardless. The flanges are nice and straight and they look decent. If they will work, may have them coated.

If I’m going to get her back on the road this season, the SP350 is closing as the only option... probably wait till next year. I have two builders I’m considering as well.

9. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Just get a set of Felpros D port gaskets and see how they line up on the flanges.