Gen IV LS Engine/4L80E swap into '73 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jakeshoe, Aug 20, 2009.

1. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

At a guess because there's far fewer performance cams and tuning is still real new using the VVT.

I also think that once the aftermarket has chewed on VVT for a while longer it'll be the new hotness, preliminary results from a few tuners I've seen messing with it have been very VERY nice. So keep the parts around to re-install it :D

2. LongIsland80Z28

LongIsland80Z28 New Member

Very nice!

Can't wait for the final pictures.

Mike

3. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Very true. Alot of folks are afraid or don't like change. If you fully understand it you will find you can benifit dearly with the VVT. I am also buying a LY6 from jake. I did major research all over the net. From what I read, its gonna be the new big hit.

Post some pic's Jake:bowtie: :bowtie:

4. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't really have any updates to post besides the last ones I posted a link to of the engine back in the car after the cam swap, converter install, etc.
    I need to get some steel to mod the crossmember and I should have a bunch of parts arriving tomorrow to finish the fuel system.
    We'll probably get back on it heavy Wed. Trying to get some other stuff caught up around the shop.
    I have spent half the day today installing a clutch in a Ford Ranger, the other half the day assembling and detailing a SBC for install into a 1967 Camaro.
    Some will remember the '67 Camaro from a couple of years ago. I did all the sheetmetal on the car.
    It will be finished soon.
    I'll be the lone guy in the shop tomorrow, one guy is going dove hunting and the other I've subbed out to a local transmission shop to help them get caught up.

5. jakeshoe

As for the VVT,
    I think it is something to keep, but the customer wanted a bit more cam and wanted to keep costs down.

We're also investigating various options to control this setup. Basically the best bang for the buck.
    Being a 58x engine, it gives us some options, some not so cheap, others not too bad.

6. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

The cost is definitely a factor right now,but I think the more people experience the powerband of the VVT engines the more you will see them use them and that will help drive the cost down. I drove someones car with a Mast VVT engine and it pulled like a freight train through out the rpm range. The VVT keeps it in the sweet spot of the power all the time. I am sold on them and I'm considering selling my LS7 to go with a VVT motor. I haven't made up my mind yet but I am certainly thinking about it.

7. QUAKE_WARS

Any updates?? Anything would be great!!! I really want to see the outcome of this swap!!!

8. jakeshoe

No updates.
    I've got the crossmember done but I'm not really happy with it so we may change it.

Driveshaft is in.

The fuel system is plumbed up as well but not much to see there, some braided line and fittings. I'll post pics of that when it's all done.

I made some calls today about the various controller options.
    GM controllers and pricing.

We'll probably get the controllers ordered next week and get back heavy on it the following week to finish it up.

9. QUAKE_WARS

AWESOME Jake. Im ready for this. Just need to see it in person :bowtie:
    I had to sell the whole T-56 setup on my car for this :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was gonna say......

I don't know if I heard it here or on LS1tech that these aftermarket controllers
    are not worth the time of day if you ever do mod's because they are locked.
    Which = You S.O.L. trying to retune them.....

GM PCM's were the only thing they said to stick with.