Getting frustrated.....help with front tire rub

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sevitz5, Apr 20, 2014.

1. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

I have 245/45/17 tires on the front with 17x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing. I just installed Hotchkis 2" drop front coils and 1.5" drop Hotchkis rear leafs. I have the Hotchkis bump stops on the front as well. I have tire rub on the inner fender turning, and I have tire rub when I get out of the throttle fast on the top of the fender. I have a set of KYB shocks (temporary til I get the fox shocks) all the way around.

What is frustrating me is that I have read on here others with this same issue without issue. Is my front tire too Big???? Is something else wrong??? What tires are you guys using that have this same setup???

Please help me out....Im sick of dealing with this issue.

p.s. before I switched tires and rims I had 225/70/15 on the front with NO issues.

2. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your current tire is an inch wider yet 2in smaller in dia compared to your previous. How bad is it rubbing? A quick rub or does it rub for a few sec? If it's a quick minimal rub, I know there is a bolt in the top of the arch that goes through the fender into the inner fender. Does it sound like it's rubbing the bolt? Could remove that bolt and see if it helps.

3. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Could part of my issue be alignment???? Does dropping the front 2" throw the alignment off???? Maybe the top just needs pulled in?? I am hoping Mary Pozzi chimes in here......I need alignment specs to give to the shop if that is my issue.

4. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here are the Pozzi alignment specs I used and I'm very happy with them.
    http://www.pozziracing.com/second_gen_alignment_.htm

I have a different wheel set up than you however.
    I know the tall upper ball joint helps with the camber curve under compression

tim

5. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

The only side rubbing is my drivers side. I measured from the floor to the lip of the fender and the pass side is 25" but the drivers side is 24 3/8. Could the mounting point on the radiator support (aftermarket) where it mounts to the frame be in the wrong spot? Can I shim the body mount on that corner up to make it right?

Could this be my problem? Can I hammer the top of the inner fender for clearance without screwing up my fender?

Thanks.

6. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Check to see if the subframe is centered. B it might be a little to one side.

7. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you'll be adding a lot of shims to make them even. As you're shimming the front, but trying to raise the middle. So almost double the amount of shims would be needed to make them even.

How are your body bushings?

I think generally with most vehicles when lowered, neg camber increases which would lay the top of your tire in.

8. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I went to solids from Keith, as opposed to the worn out rubber I had, I gained about a 3/8" front fender clearance ......

9. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The driver's side could be rubbing just from the extra weight you, as the driver, put on that side.

I had rubbing with the same wheels and springs setup. I hammered the inner fenders around with a sledge and tightened up the bolts as much as I could without damaging the outer fender. Now I don't have any rubbing.

I'm also running between 1-2 degrees of negative camber, which helps a lot. And a tall upper ball joint. And solid body bushings... Not sure if they help, but they may.

Also, when you're throttling out and the front end goes back down (and rubs, as you say), wouldn't that have to do with shocks?

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Not sure what the differences are in the front fender, but I am running Hotchkis
    springs and 275/40R17 wheels up front and no rub as of yet - 1978 Camaro.

Yes, dropping the front end will throw off the alignment. When you change any
    suspension part (other than shocks) you should get an alignment.

Tom