Getting frustrated.....help with front tire rub

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sevitz5, Apr 20, 2014.

1. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

I have solid bushings I will be putting in this week. Will GOOD shocks stop the rubbing?

What backspacing are you guys using? I am wondering if I should have went with a 5". My rims are currently 4.5" with 0 offset.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Update: the fender that is rubbing is an aftermarket. I am thinking it mat need pushed up and out in the center. Is this possible with a porta power...carefully as to not screw up my fender?

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm running the same tire/wheel combo you are up front with no rub issue. I just completely rebuild the front steering and suspension with all Moog parts and Moog 5610 springs. I also have solid body bushings. Before you start pushing on a fender, get the solid bushings in first, then get a good four corner alignment. My bad if I missed this but do you have sub frame connectors?

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Before bending anything change the body mounts that you bought. I believe they can be put on to add a bit of ride height or lower the car. If you are rubbing, you may want to add a bit......

5. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

Got a minute before I head out the door but your rub issues *may* resolve themselves with replacement of your KYB's with a quality shock. Check the alignment (this should be done immediately, BTW) as when you lower, both camber and toe will change.

After the alignment, check your ride height. While there are some variances between OEM and aftermarket sheet metal, these measurements shouldn't vary much.

I say shocks first as you can't tell if a shock is worn by manually compressing and extending it yourself. I'm not a fan of KYB ...

Mary P.

6. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

I had the same problem. The driver side tire would rub the top of the inner fender on hard braking and bumps. I used their spacers to bring the driver side up. The driver side did sit lower than the passenger side.

Same size tire and rim combo as you.

7. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Do you happen to have a part # or link? I am gonna get an alignment, install mt solid body bushings, and get some of the spacers......thanks.

8. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

They come with the Hotchkis lower Arms Im using. Im sorry no part # handy.

9. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    I would do the shocks and body bushings before you start massaging the sheet metal. I am betting things get better after that. Also, did you tighten all the bolts in the rear with the car off the ground after you did the rear springs? If so, you may have some preload on the springs and they might be causing the front end to be out of whack. Good luck.

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Yah ... quality shocks, I have Blistein ... you cant go wrong with them.

I also have the biggest factory sway bars available for 2nd Gens, the WS6. That
    might be something to help your situation as well. I used Poly subframe bushings.

Tom